the boyfriend "problem"

the past, summer of 1985                                                                                           a few days after seeing Robin

"It's just... I've never felt this way about anyone else, Chrissy!" There you were, panicking on Chrissy Cunningham's bed. You'd know Chrissy your whole life, since your parents worked together, and she was one of your best friends. 

Chrissy sat on the corner of her bed. "Are you sure? Not even with Chance?" Chance was a player on the Hawkins basketball team, and even though the two of you had been dating since 10th grade, it was always a constant game of hot-and-cold with him.

 You'd had plenty of fight, and broken up and gotten back together more times than you could remember. He always though you were the one for him, and that a "night of passion" could always fix everything, but it didn't.

"Well, yeah I really like Chance! But our spark has kind of just..." you laid down on her bed and stared at the ceiling, "it's just faded. Our relationship just doesn't feel the same anymore. He always expects me to be at his beck and call, every hour of every day, Chrissy!"

Chrissy fidgeted with her fingers and looked down at you. "Maybe he's just... I don't know, going through a rough patch right now?" Chrissy asked hopefully.

"A rough patch? It's been two years Chrissy! Two goddamn years! How do I know if he still loves me and isn't just using me for his own pleasure?" You threw your arms into the air and let them rest there.

Chrissy grabbed your hands and pulled you up. "You need to talk to him Y/N! And if he doesn't see how wonderful you are, dump his sorry ass."

And that's what you did. That night you called Chance and went over to his house. And it went the same way it always had.

Another fight

Another breakup

Another apology 

And another night of you, wrapped around Chances finger. 

Another night of "pleasure"

But it wasn't to  make you happy.

It was to stop you from leaving him.