The Grandfather Clock

Max's breath was shaken as she spoke. "The grandfather clock. It was right here." 

"A grandfather clock?" You asked, looking over at the girls with puzzled expressions.

Max shook her head, frightened by the thought of the vanishing clock. "It was so real. I saw it... I heard it! It heard it ticking... then it chimed. And I got closer, and suddenly I just..." She tried to steady her breathes, but continued to stand in frozen fear. "I woke up."

The group was silent. Robin gulped as Max turned to face everyone. "Is that when we found you? When you... woke up?"

Max nodded as Dustin eyes widened.

"That's what Eddie said happened to Chrissy, just... she didn't wake up."

That's not fair,  you thought, no one deserves this. This shouldn't be real.

Max played with the flashlight in her hands as she shook her head. "That's not even the bad part." She hesitated before leading the group down the halls. "Follow me."

She lead everyone back to Ms. Kelley's office, where she lined up two files. In black ink, they read; Chrissy Cunningham and Fred Benson.

Everyone's breaths seemed to simultaneously sharpen as Max made her claims. "Fred and Chrissy. They both came to Ms Kelley for help." 

Robins dark red nails underlined the words as she read the files, listening to Maxes statement. Nancy grabbed another and you read over her shoulder.

"They were both having headaches. Bad headaches that just wouldn't go away. And then... the nightmares, trouble sleeping, they'd wake up in a cold sweat. Then... then they started seeing things. Bad things, from their pasts. And these visions-"

Max looked away from the group as trembling terror took over her body, strangling her breathes, catching in her throat. "These visions kept getting worse and worse. Until eventually...everything ended."

You looked up from Nancy's shoulder and met Maxs gaze. "Vecna's curse."

Max nodded. "Chrissys headache started a week ago. Fred's six days ago..."

Everyone suddenly looked up, looking into Max's eyes, as if all eyes on her would make everything go away. Everyone had realized what was coming next. 

"I've been having the for five days." Max started to pace as the rest of you silently panicked. "I don't know how long I have, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision. And I just saw that goddamn clock! So... looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow." 

Max's breathing shook her body. Tears lay at the corners of her eyes.

Everyone had a million things to say, but also, nothing at all.

A violent creak came from outside the office. Everybody jumped, straight out of the uncomfortable smoke of death and delusions that were laid upon the room.

Steve turned towards the door, eyes opened wide. "Stay here." He warned, making his way towards the exit. He picked up a tall lamp that sat against the wall, creating a makeshift weapon. He crept out of the room without any hesitation. 

He always wanted to be the hero. Protect the ones he loved. But you couldn't let that happen.

"Are we just gonna let him go out there himself?" You asked, turning away from the open door.

Dustin looked you in the eyes. "What? We dont know what could be out there!"

"Exactly. And I'm not gonna lose another person I care about just because they don't want help." You stood up and waited at the door. "Who's coming with me!?"

Everyone exchanged glances, and Robin stood up from her chair. She stood next to you and smiled. 

You smiled back, then the two of you looked at the group. Not a word was said, but they all quickly made their way to the both of you. 

You nodded and all turned on your flashlights, following Steve as he crept down the hallway.