"Those who can't do, teach"

You played with the dangling white pearls that hung from your earring. Nancy began to drive down an unfamiliar road. 

She often looked in the mirror, making sure her hair and makeup was still intact and as perfectly professional as it was minutes before. 

The sight of cars, houses, and basic evidence of other human life in the area became less and less frequent. The trees seemed to grow as you continued down the road, engulfing the car and eliminating the sun overhead.

The Walkie-Talkie buzzed and clicked, static slipped in between of the voice on the other end. "Y/N, are-... guys almost ther-...yet?" It was Dustin.

The message was fuzzy, but still clear enough to pick out what had been said. "Yeah, yeah I'm pretty sure. The signals ass out here, I can still sort of hear you though."

"Good. Try to keep it on you guys at all times, incase we need to contact you."

You nodded. "Got it."

The trees began to clear the road as you turned off the Walkie-Talkie. Huge stones walls like that of a castles came into view as the car turned.

The path became smoother as Nancy drove through the sullied gates that read "Pennhurst Mental Hospital".

The car came to a stop and Robin groaned, itching her shoulder from the cardigans material and slipping her heels back over her socks.

Nancy checked her watch one more time and slid the folders into her purse. "We have to get going. We can't be late." 

Robin stumbled as she got out of the car. "I can't breathe in this thing! And I'm itchy, itchy all over!"

"It's not all about comfort, okay? We're academics."Nancy said. A bit of passive aggressiveness hung in her voice. 

You chuckled. "Who are evidently coming straight from Easter brunch."

"Also, this bra you gave me is really pinching my boobs." Robin groaned again and stuck her hand up her shirt to adjust the bra.

Nancy huffed. "Okay can you two just please let me do the talking? If that's even possible?"

"It's not only possible, it's inevitable, because shortly, I'll be dead from strangulation!" Robin replied, tugging on her shirt.

The three of you walked into a dim front office. An older man led you to an office, where Hatch was waiting. 

You all greeted him and introduced yourselves, and Nancy handed him your files.

"3.9 GPAs...all of you. Impressive." Hatch nodded and put the folder onto his desk.

"And this is a recommendation from Professor Brantley..." Nancy said as she slid another false document over to him.

Hatch adjust his glasses and picked up the paper. "Yeah, I know Larry. Quite well, actually." Hatch chuckled softly as he finished scanning over the "recommendation". "Eh, you know what they say, 'Those who can't do, teach.'" 

You and Robin joined in on his joke and gingerly laughed with him.

"Those who can't do, teach"? 

 Nancy smiled and folded her hands together on her lap. "Uh, yes, yes, that's actually why we're here. I mean, we can only learn so much in a classroom."

Hatch nodded and leaned back into his chair. "Mmm. And I'm sympathetic to your struggle, truly. But there is a protocol to visiting a patient like Victor. You put in a request and then undergo a screening process, at which point, the board will make a decision." 

You swollen the sudden lump of defeat that grew in your throat. Nancy's shoulders dropped and Robin looked at you with an aghast look.

Hatch began to slid the files and documents back to the three of you.

"I can see you're disappointed." He took a deep breath and slid his glasses off of his face. "But I'm more than happy to give you a tour. Perhaps you can even speak to some patients in our low-security wing."

You sat up straighter and cupped your hands together. "And we'd... we would love that. It's just that, um..." You took a calming breath and clicked your tongue, "...our thesis is due next month."

"And you're out of time. Whose fault is that?" Hatch said in a demanding and questionable tone, twirling the temple of his glasses between his fingers.

 Nancy sighed "Ours.... absolutely."