Trees and Tarps

Everyone unclicked their seatbelts and got out of the car.

"Are we actually doing this?" You asked, leaning on the outside of the car, arms crossed. You felt some unknown type of anxiety and frozen terror consume you. Goosebumps and chills trickled down your body.

Steve closed his car door and locked it. "I guess so." His keys jingled as he slipped them into his pocket. 

The silhouette of the neglected house hid behind the dusty rose colored sun that was setting rapidly on the lake, framed by the dark oak and fresh pine trees.

Pretty nice view for a drug dealer.

The scenery seemed like something out of a million dollar painting. Shining lake surrounded by beautiful greenery. The only thing that was off was the seemingly abandoned cabin in the midst of the art.

No one wanted to stray from the car as the sky quickly became a shade of midnight black. No one wanted to see if the house was actually empty, or if a crazy drug dealer or possible murderer hid in the shadows. No one really wanted to find out if Eddie had something to do with Chrissys demise, or if some type of shitty monster had taken over.

No one wanted to, but you had too.

You took a few steps forward. Concrete and rocks crunched under your sneaker. You turned back to the group, now ahead of them. 

"Are we going or not?" You through your hands out and made a face, a flashlight in your hand.

Dustin nodded and everyone followed you. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, we're going."

Everyone slowly walked up the driveway to the porch behind you, flashlights shining against your back.

 You tried to push your fear and secret apprehension away. You hesitated once you reach the door, turning back towards the rest, your flashlight gripped tightly in your left hand. Steve gestured for you to knock on the door, but he didn't seem to be in such a rush to see if anyone was inside.

You took a deep breath and tried to forget your worries. You rested your hand on the door, tucked into a fist.

This isn't going to go well.

You knocked a few times against the window.

No reply.

You knocked again, a little louder than before. 

Still, no answer

You knocked with aggravated aggression, then sighed. You rang the doorbell repeatidly before facing everyone.

"This was pointless, no one's here."

Dustin groaned and pushed past you. He banged against the window and shown his flashlight through the glass. "Eddie? It's Dustin, we just wanna talk!" He yelled, still hitting the window.

Robin moved away from the door and crept around the windows, shining her flashlight into the house, and Max followed behind her. Dustin continued to yell.

You decided to help look for any signs of Eddie or Rick, so you made your way around the front of the house. You turned on your flashlight and searched for anything helpful.

You kept walking until you reach the side of the house. You let your flashlight shine in the side yard, which illuminated a small, shabby boathouse, that's front door was lit by a single lightbulb.

"Um, guys? You might wanna see this." The group came up behind you and Dustin finally stopped yelling.

Everyone shown their lights at the building, filled with anticipation.