What do we do now?

Dustin kept screaming into the Walkie-Talkie. "This is a code red! Damn it, I repeat, this is a code red!"

You picked up the Walkie-Talkie and answered, "Dustin, it's Y/N, we copy!" 

"Holy shit! Finally!" Dustin took a quick deep breath. "He got her! Vecna got her! Please, please tell me you guys have this figured out!"

"Yeah, yeah we do! It's music Dustin, music!" You replied. Nancy kept throwing you nervous glances in the rear-view mirror. Robin was turned all the way around, chest heaving up and down as she anxiously bit her lip.

"Music? Just like any song?" Dustin asked swiftly. You heard Steve's car door open and close on the other side of the Walkie-Talkie.

You shook your head, even though he couldn't see you. "No, it has to be special! It needs to mean something! Hatch said that  music has a 'calming effect on the broken mind.' He said that the right song, especially one that has personal meaning, can be a 'salient stimulus!'"

You heard Dustin place the Walkie-Talkie down on the hood off the car as he dumped out Max's bag. You listened as he scrambled through her stuff and eventually took off running, forgetting to turn off his Walkie-Talkie.

The three of you sat in silence as you listened to Dustin's shouts fade away.

Robin sighed. "What do we do now?"

The car remained silent, you didn't like that. You wished the radio was on as some background noise to exterminate the silence, or a good song played to change the mood. But it wasn't.

"I think we should go back to my house, we can get changed and try to relax until we can catch up with everyone else." Nancy suggested, checking on you in the rear-view mirror again. 

"Yeah." You and Robin agreed and started making your way towards Hawkins and the Wheeler house.

Eventually, you were all back at Nancy's house. She pulled her car into the driveway and you all got out.

Mrs. Wheeler greeted you in a cheerful mood when you came in. You tried to talk with her in the same mood, or at least make it seem like you could be cheerful at a time like this.

Once the three of you were able to sneak away from her, you went up to Nancy's bathroom to get changed. Robin waited outside the door for her turn.

You happily slipped back into your jeans, t-shirt, and socks, your feet needed a break after running around in heels. You didn't hate Nancy's outfit, you actually thought that you didn't look half bad in the skirts and frills as you thought you would.

You tossed the clothes into Nancy's hamper and sat down on the edge of her bed. She stood at her mirror, combing her hair back into place. She started re-organizing her room after Robin had touched and moved all her trinkets and belongings. 

"I'm sorry we stopped talking." Nancy abruptly said, putting a pearl necklace back onto her jewelry box.

You didn't expect her to mention anything about your falling out. "Huh?"

"I'm sorry we stopped talking a few years ago."

"Oh... yeah, me too. I'm sorry." You replied.

Nancy sighed. "I'm sorry I changed. I wish we never lost our connection. We used to be so close."

You smiled. "Yeah, why did we ever stop hanging out?"

"Well besides the whole monsters and superpower thing I got involved in... I guess I was just jealous of you when Steve and I started dating."

You sat in awe. "Really? Why?"

"You two were always so close, the way he talked about you, your friendship, I mean like, you guys have known each other forever!" Nancy said with a chuckle as she sat with you on the bed.

"Yeah, but I've always been jealous of you! When you two were together, you guys seemed so happy and perfect. He really loved you, but you just weren't meant to be together." You took a deep breath and looked down, small tears began pooling in your eyes, "I just wanted that."

Nancy paused. "Did you... like Steve?"

You looked back up and laughed. "No, never! He's like a brother to me." You sighed, "I just wanted to have a relationship like you. One where you were actually happy and didn't have to put on a show for everyone. Chance never loved me."

"I forgot about your breakup. I'm sorry." Nancy said, clasping her hands together.

You smiled, "Don't be, these past few days without have really lifted a weight off of my chest. He was just... a manipulative douchebag. I'm glad he's out of my life."

"Good for you!" Nancy said with a smile. 

You nodded. "So what about you and Jonathan? How's long distance been?"

"Difficult." Nancy sighed, then smiled. "I really miss him, but we're going to college together! I can't wait to see him again."

You smiled back at her and repeated her words. "Good for you."

The bathroom door opened and Robin's footsteps echoed down the hall and into Nancy's room. She tossed the clothes into the hamper and threw herself down behind the two of you onto Nancy' bed.

"No more itchy shirt and pinchy shoes!" She said happily, spreading her limbs out on the bed.

You and Nancy laughed and the three of you continued to crack jokes and tell stories until Steve's car pulled up in front of the house. 

You'd forgotten about Max.

Shit.