Alone

Hatch held out his arm as you all stepped through the door. Classical music was playing from a radio. Patients and nurses were dispersed around the room, some patients wore headphones.

"This is one of our more popular areas, the listening room. We found that music has a particularly calming effect on the broken mind. The right song, particularly one which holds some personal meaning, can prove a salient stimulus. But there are some who are... beyond a cure." Hatch spoke as he walked around the room. 

You studied the patients almost hypnotized gazes. Eyes open wide, subconsciously listening to the music.

The three of you followed Hatch out of the listening room and down the hall. He didn't say much as he led you all to a door with a warning sign and two locks.

His keys rattled as he took them out of his pocket, using the keys to unlock the door. He stepped in first and you all followed him down the dimly lit flight of stairs. 

The door slammed shut behind you. The three of you almost jumped out of your itchy, irritating blouses and heels, but Hatch seemed unfazed by the heavy echo of the door. 

Nancy jumped in front of you and Robin as you made it to the bottom of the stairs. "Uh, Dr. Hatch...do you think it might be possible for us to speak to Victor...alone?"

Hatch turned to face you and widened his eyes. "Alone?"

Robin nodded. "I...I think that we would just love the challenge of speaking with Victor without the safety net of an expert such as yourself. Then we could really rub it in Professor Bradley's face when we get back to campus-"

"Professor Bradley?" Hatch interrupted with sharp realization. "I don't believe I know a Professor Bradley..."

You immediately chimed in and looked Hatch in the eyes. "Brantley! She... she meant to say Brantley. You said, with a fake grin and a nod.

 Robin's fear melted as she replaced it with a matching fake smile and laugh "Didn't I say Brantley? What did I say? Sorry, silly me. Words, letters..." She chuckled again and shrugged. "Guess I'm just nervous... I mean, excited! So excited to speak with Victor."

"Preferably, as she said...alone?" You smiled and gestured to Nancy. 

Hatch thought for a moment, continuously staring at you girls, then smiled.

"Why not? You've caught me in a rebellious mood," you all laughed, then Hatch spoke again. "And there's something rather urgent I need to check on anyway, so... sure."

Hatch went over to the security guard by the entrance before leaving. "Keep a close eye on them." 

The three of you thanked him as he went back up the stairs. The door slammed shut behind him as he left.

The security guard unlocked the door and started down the hall.

Cells filled with patients lined the walls.

The security guard began to shout. "Do not startle him! Do not touch him! Do not pass him anything! Stand five feet away from the bars at all times! Is that clear?!"

 "Yes, sir." You all anxiously replied as you followed him to Victor's cell.

The guard took out his baton and ran it against the metal poles of his cell. "Victor! Today's your lucky day! You got visitors! Real pretty ones."

It was silent for a moment, then came scratching. The sound of nails scratching against rough wood. Victors dark silhouette curled in at his desk as his nails ran cross his table. 

The sound made your head hurt and a chill run down your spine. 

"Must be in one of his moods." The guard said as he began to leave.

"Have fun."