Empty Evenings

You shook your head, taking the Weekly Watcher articles out of the microform readers, placing them back in the box. "So, spooky Vecnas been around for over 20 years, and just recently started his killing spree again?"

"27 years," Nancy chimed in, "and... I guess so. There's just so much to unpack here." She said, taking the Weekly Watchers box and caressing the case, staring into the cover like as if it was a vast sea, unbalanced knowledge and theories bobbing in its waters like boats.

Robin stood up and took the walkie-talkie from your bag. "We gotta tell the others. This is some serious crap."

The three of you frantically marched down the isles of the library. Bookcases towered over you like limitless skyscrapers. Nancy placed both the Weekly Watcher articles and the library's keys on the front counter. You all bursts through the library's doors as Robin tried to get hold of the others.

"Dustin? Dustin, do you copy?"

There was a second of static before Dustin's voice came over the speaker. "Yeah, I copy."

"So, Nancy's a genius, Vecna's first victim dates all the way back to 1959. Her shot in the dark was a complete bullseye!" You said, speaking into the Walkie-Talkie, your hand softly wrapped around Robins.

"Okay, that's totally bonkers, but uh, I can't really talk right now." His voice sounded nervous and tense.

The three of you got in the car. "Wait, what are you doing?" Robin asked, shutting her door behind her.

"Breaking and entering into school to steal some confidential and extremely personal files." His voice had no hesitation.

You leaned between Robin and Nancy's seats as the car started to drive away from the library. "I'm sorry,  can you repeat that!?"

You couldn't see his face, but you'd known for a fact that he'd definitely rolled his eyes at you "Just get your asses over here, stat! We'll explain everything when you guys get here." 

You chuckled and took the Walkie-Talkie around Robins hands again. "Steve, you really need to get your charges attitudes in check, their mothers won't be happy with their potty mouths!"

"Nows not the time to make fun of Steve." Nancy said, looking back at you for a moment before turning back and gesturing you down. "Buckle up, I don't want anymore trouble."

"Ha-ha, just hurry up." Steve replied before ending the Walkie-Talkies call.

Nancy sighed as the Walkie-Talkie went silent. "I thought they were talking to Ms. Kelley?"

"We leave them alone for two hours and they already change the plans on us." Robin exclaimed while pushing the Walkie-Talkies antenna back into the machine.

Nancy's car rumbled against the almost abandoned streets. With all the killings, people had been getting more and more anxious about going out during the evening. On a night like this, people would usually want to be out and about. But with the streets empty, Nancy's car flew like a bullet all the way to Hawkins High School.

The car came to a quick jolt and the tires shrieked as the car came to a stop. You all immediately tossed the doors of the car open and gave each other matching glances, before booking your ways to the front door.

Still unlocked. 

The doors were flung open as the trinity of you flew into the building. No lights, the schools closed. Nancy's flashlight bounce off the walls of the dark building. You all raced down the halls, twisting and turning down corridors until you ended up outside Ms. Kelley's office.

You opened the door and the boys turned around. "Holy shit, guys. You scared the crap outta me." Steve said, coming over to you and wrapping his arm around you in a relived, side-hug style. 

You did the same and smiled, catching your breath from your race down the halls. "Yeah, yeah sorry. So...what's wrong?" You said, pulling yourself away after a few seconds of calm with your best friend.

"And where's Max?" Nancy asked, crossing her arms.

The room was silent as Steve and Dustin both looked around in a panic. "Shit."

Robin shook her head. "What's wrong? She was with you guys, right?"

"Yeah, she was! We were just looking at the files and she... she just disappeared!" Dustin shrieked, throwing his arms to the side.

You gulped and rubbed your arms, crossed together. "Well, could she be in the hallway?" 

Everyone looked at you, and without saying a word, all jet out the door. You all called for her, until you saw her silhouette in one of the dead-end hallways. 

Her flashlight pointed at the wall. She wasn't moving, as if she was trapped in some sort of trance.  

A million thoughts currently spoke in your mind, but only one shouted out. 

Vecna.