Champions

the present, March of 1986                                                                                         Hawkins High

You felt your insides swirl around as you flipped in the air and landed back down, sticking the landing. You smiled and joined back into the choreography as the marching band played. The audience  cheered as you and the other cheerleaders did synchronized flips and dance moves. When the routine was over, you and the other cheerleaders waved to the crowd and ran to the bleachers, waiting for the game to begin. And as you were running to sit, someone's eyes met yours.

Robin Buckleys eyes were watching you go to your seat. You smiled and waved at her, and she, not expecting you to acknowledged her, smiled and pointed to herself, silently asking if you were waving to her, then waved back. 

"Ugh, why do you even associate with her? She's a loser" complained Michelle, one of the other cheerleaders, lightly shoving your shoulder when you sat down.

You looked at Robin in the audience, who was talking to Steve in the row behind her, then turned back to Michelle "Who, Robin? She's... she's not a loser. Plus, we're not even friends, she was just looking this way, so I waved-"

Your conversation was interrupted by a voice on the speakers. "Hello everyone, and welcome to the Championship Basketball Game! Everyone, give a warm welcome... to the Hawkins basketball team!" The crowd roared with excitement as the Hawkins basketball team ran into the gym, waving at their audience. Chance winked as he ran past you, and you gave him a small smile and waved. 

~after the game~

Hawkins had won the game, and were the champions for the first time in 22 years. You and Steve were waiting for some freshmans from the Hellfire Club, when someone walked up behind you and grabbed your shoulders.

 "Hey, are you coming to the party at Jason's house later? His parents are out of town and it's gonna be amazing!!!" Michelle asked, letting go of you and walking backwards to keep the conversation going.

"He's having a party?" You looked at Steve, then back at Michelle. "Is it okay if I bring some people?"

Michelle took out her car keys "of course! The more the merrier" Michelle said, winking at Steve and getting into her car. She rolled down her window as she drove off. "See you there, Y/N!"

"You want me to go to a party? Who else are you bringing?" Steve asked, leaning on his car. Waving over to the freshmans in the Hellfire Club.

"I don't know, maybe Nancy, or Annie.... Robin-"

"You want Robin to go to a party?" Steve asked, crossing his arms. "Robin Buckley... at party... full of jocks and cheerleaders?"

"I don't know! She seems cool!" You said, leaning next to Steve on his car.

Steve looked at you "Oh, trust me, Robins not party material-"

"What about a party?" You turned around to see Dustin and Mike, the Hellfire clubs new recruits, standing behind you two.

"It's nothing, we're just-" you were cut off by Dustin, who was looking back and forth between you and Steve

"Wait I thought you were on a date with Melissa tonight?" He asked, pointing at you. "I don't think your Melissa"

You and Steve looked at each other and frantically tried to explain why you could never date each other.

"Oh nooo we could never date"

"Why would you assume in interested in him!?"

"Hey wait that was kinda mean..."

"Didn't mean for it to be," you both turned to the freshmen, "we've just know each other for so long and-"

"Yeah, yeah! And Melissa-" Steve looked around the parking lot "wait actually I don't know where she went...shit"

"And about this party-"

Dustin put his hands up and Mike crossed his arms. 

"Okay, woah. You guys need to slow the hell down when you talk." Mike said, looking at you in a sort-of- judgmental way. You apologized and explained everything about the party little slower.

Mike and Dustin decided to go home with Nancy, since Steve was taking you and Robin to the party. Chance had driven you to the game, but left to go to the party as soon as the game was over, which left Steve has one of the only possible rides to the party. 

A ride with Robin, but was this really what you wanted?

————————————————————————————-

notes:

sorry this chapter was so long! Just wanted to get it done and make sure I could get all my ideas in. Get ready for the next chapter ;)