A Shot in the Dark

You all made your way to Steve and Nancy's cars. Everyone went to Steve's car, but Nancy went to her own. 

"Woah, woah, Nance. Where are you going?" Steve asked, walking over to her.

Nancy turned towards him. "Oh, there's just something I want to check on first." 

"Something maybe you want to share with the rest of us?" Dustin asked, shrugging.

Nancy looked at the ground and kicked around dirt. "I don't really wanna waste your time. It's really a shot in the dark."

Steve sighed. "Yeah, okay. Are you out of your mind? Flying solo with Vecna on the loose? No. No! It's too dangerous. You need someone to..."

Steve turned around and tossed the keys to you and Robin.  She caught them and looked at yiu, confused. "Take the car, check out the shrink."

"I don't think you want me driving your car-" Robin said, crossing her arms.

Steve groaned. "Why?"

Robin rolled her eyes. "I don't have a license!"

"Why dont you have a license?" Steve asked again.

Robin shrugged. "I'm poor."

"They y/n drives!" Steve rebuttaled. 

You gave an annoyed chuckled. "I'm not going to watch your children for you!?"

"We're not children!" Dustin added.

Max chimed in. "I can drive." She suggested, going to take the keys from Robins hand.

Steve's eyes lit up as he panicked. "No no! Never again please! Anybody but you!"

Dustin smiled and shrugged, nudging for a chance to drive Steve's car. 

"No chance." Steve said, pointing at Dustin.

Dustin groaned, and Robin sighed. She grabbed a Walkie-Talkie from Dustin's backpack.

"Okay this is stupid," she took you by the hand and dragged you over to Nancy. "Us ladies will stick together." She tossed Steve his keys back.

You smiled and Robin let go. "Unless you think we need you to protect us?" Robin and Nancy chuckled and you all made your way to Nancy car.

"Be careful!" Steve shouted after you.

The three of you trudged your way to Nancy's car and everyone got in, buckling up. You sat in the back by yourself, your bag on the seat next to yours. You made yourself comfortable on Nancy's seats and took the Walkie-Talkie from Robin in the front seat, placing it in your bag. 

"So what's the plan?" You asked, tapping the cars flooring with your sneakers. 

The car drove away from the trailer park and started down a tree-lined backroad. 

 Nancy looked up at you from her mirror. "Hm?" 

You shrugged. "The plan? What's our plan?"

"Oh." She gulped and gave a fake, slight smile. "Well, Wayne Munson thought that Victor Creel might've been behind Chrissys death. And I thought it could've been Victor, until the bombshell of more monsters and crap was dropped."

Robin nodded. "At least Victor's not on the loose."  She tried to make the situation better, but there's no possible way it could. 

But at the same time, her positive add ons and witty comments someone made you feel like everything would be okay.

"But now there's some psychic hell monster killing teenagers." You replied and Nancy nodded, turning into downtown.

The car ride felt like almost an eternity of quiet. You'd always been used to Steve's radio on and blaring music, but Nancy's radio remained off. 

Small conversations went back and forth about   monsters and the Byers and Eleven moving to California and Victor Creel, until Nancy pulled the car into towns library.

Everyone unbuckled and got out of the car. Robin chuckled and closed her door, walking over to you and Nancy. "The library? It's spring break, Nance, we don't have to study."

Nancy grabbed her bags strap and turned to her. "But we do. We need to look into Victors incident."

You all started waking up to the doors. "But I thought that we all agreed that Wayne's Victor theory was just a paranoid theory?" You asked, looking at the girls.

"Yeah, but Victors murders were way back in the fifties-" Robin was interrupted by Nancy and the squeaking of the door.

Robin continued to talk as everyone entered the library. "So that means that Victors murders predate Eleven and the Upside Down by about thirty years?"

Nancy sighed. "Yeah." She breathily answered.

Robin continued to ramble on, lost in her own world of Creels story. "Which would make spooky Victor Creel over 70 years old?"

Nancy sucked in her lips and nodded, annoyed by the company of you and Robin. "Yep." She seemed like she just wanted to be alone, but you'd known her before you'd distanced from her when she broke up with Steve. She liked the company.

"So, he's a grandpa murderer who can turn invisible and lift people into the air?" Robin leaned against the counter and placed her head on her hand.

Nancy nodded. "I know, it doesn't make sense. That's why I said it's a shot in the dark."

"I thought when you said it was 'a shot in the dark' you were just being modest or hiding something up your sleeve that you were gonna wow us with later. That's how you've always been, but this is really a shot in the dark!" 

Robin lifted a hand towards you and added to your rambles. Nancy continuously rang the bell. "It's like we're snipers with blindfold on who've been spun around 50 times-" 

The interference of the bell cut of Robins words and a kindly older woman came out from behind the bookcases."

"Hi, sorry, we're in kind of a rush. Could we get the keys to the basement archives?" Nancy asked.

The librarian agreed and left to go get the keys, and Robin suddenly turned towards Nancy.

"Did I come off as mean or condescending or something?"

Nancy faced her and shook her head. "No."

"Right. Sorry it's just, you seem annoyed" She paused for a moment and sighed. "You don't know me very well and you two seem to know each other well. I don't really have a filer or a strong grasp of social cues."

Nancy nodded and turned towards the bookcases again. "Okay."

"So if I say something that upsets you, just know that I know it's a flaw. Believe me, my mother reminds me daily!"

Nancy nodded again as the librarian approached again. "Got it."

"All right, ladies, here you go. Have fun!" The librarian said, handing Nancy the keys.

She took them from her and grinned. "Yep. Well try." She walked away and the librarian made a face. You and Robin exchanged looks and she shrugged. You both followed Nancy and smiled, trying to prepare for her anxious behaviors.