Finding the Freak

Dustin started scribbling down addresses on papers while you calmed yourself down. He had gone through the computer to search for the accounts of Hellfire Club members. 

You sat criss-crossed on the top of the counter and continued to make small talk with Steve, mostly about the past of Eleven and events he'd gone through. Steve tried his best to take your mind off of Chrissy. Your conversation was interrupted by an abrupt request from Dustin.

"Phone Book." Dustin said, reaching out his hand towards Robin. 

She looked over at him and raised her eyebrows "Huh?" 

"The Phone Book!" Dustin gestured towards the sheet of paper he'd written on, "We need phone numbers!"

Robin bend down and grabbed the book from the shelves built into the countertop. She handed it to him and he became searching through the pages. 

You never left your spot for the counter and Steve stayed by your side, as you both looked over shoulders to get a glimpse of Dustin's focused work. You fidgeted with the end of your shoelace between your fingers as you listend to the sound of his pencil scratching the paper.

Once Dustin had finished writing the numbers down, Max and Robin went to retrieve the three phones. Dustin look out the window towards the incoming customers, then faced you and Steve as they placed the phones on the counter. 

"So, looks like Steve and y/n get to help the customers!" Dustin said, picking up a phone and putting in the number of Eddie's club members. 

I wonder if I know who he's calling?

Steve tried to protest, but Dustin just gave him a sarcastic shush as he pointed to the phone between his ear and shoulder. Robin and Max also got to work, calling Hellfire members.

You chuckled as Steve groaned and rolled his eyes, but immediately changed his sour expression into a smile as soon as a small group of teenage girls walked in.

He greeted them before turning to you. "Hey, do me a favor and finished setting out these movies?" 

You started to get off the counter. "Oh yeah sure! Just place them on the shelves? Like... action or horror?" 

"Yeah, yeah that's right." Steve patted your shoulder and left to go help the customers.

You picked up the box of returned movies.

Just put them on the correct shelves

You walked around the store, placing the movies in the correct spaces. Back to the Future and WarGames in Sci-fi, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Footloose in musicals, and so on. 

As you continued to work by yourself, you couldn't help but feel alone with your thoughts and reflect on the past 24 hours.

Hawkins won the championship. Great! 

Party at Jason's house, sounded fun.

Finally broke up for good with Chance...woah.

The party moved to the abandoned Bennys Burgers.

Chrissy was murdered. You were called for questioning. Eddie's  definitely the number one suspect.

You stopped for a moment to shake off the negative feelings. You went back to stocking the shelves, listening to the music play on the radio, Steve talking to the pretty girls in store, and three different phone conversations going on.

As you picked up on the different words being passed around the store, Robins eyes caught yours. It wasn't just a glance, she was studying you from behind the counter. 

She didn't look away once she realized you'd noticed, she smiled at you. Something about her smile felt so familiar. Like a distant reminiscence from not so long ago. 

You felt another pit form in your stomach, but this time, it wasn't fear or anger or sorrow. It was recognization. A memory that had been pushed back into your brain.

The conversations and music and flirting seemed to fade away. Robin was the girl from Scoops Ahoy last year. 

—————————————————————————

GUYS. GUYSSSSSSS

REALLY? WHEN I POSTED THE LAST CHAPTER, I WAS AT 2.7 READS, AND NOW I OPEN THE APP THIS MORNING TO FIND 43 NOTIFICATIONS AND THIS STORYS AT 3.4K READS???? IM LITERALLY IN TEARS WTHHH AAAAA <3