Code Red

The thudding of your footsteps echoed through the deserted hallways. The beams from the flashlights bounced off the walls.

The sudden slam of a door down the hallways corner made your heart skip a beat. Everyone seemed startled by the noise, but even more anxious when the sound of fast footsteps came from the same direction.

Steve gripped onto the lamp, preparing to swing and injure any possible threat that came from just around the corner.

The sound grew louder, coming closer, "God, who knows what it could be." you thought. Your hands shook like a single leaf on a twig, swaying through a storm.

You anxiously waited for the reveal, anticipating the unknown persons arrival.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

The sneakers slapped against the floor as someone jumped from behind the corner.

You all  screamed as Steve swung the lamp in the air, screaming as well, only to reveal that the intruder was none other than Lucas Sinclair.

Lucas took a step back and lifted his hands to protect himself, panting in the process. The flashlights shown over his face

"It's me! It's me!" He said, placing a hand to his chest.

Everyone started calm down, your worries at ease, now knowing it was only him.

"Jesus, what is wrong with you Sinclair!" Steve shouted, as Lucas tried to catch his breath, placing his hands on his hips.

"I'm sorry!"

Steve shook the lamp as he continued to yell. "I could've taken you out with this thing!"

"Sorry, sorry guys..." Lucas continued to speak, casually stopping his sentences to catch his breath. "I was... I was biking for eight miles..." 

He lifted a finger and paused, sighing as he tried to regained his breath.

"Give me a second. Shit.... we've got a code red." 

They all looked around at each other, panic draped over the room.

"What?!" Steve's shock spoke for everyone. Except you. 

You looked around, puzzled. "Code red? I know that means some bad shits going down, but how bad?"

Lucas grunted and walked towards Dustin. "It means that Jason, Patrick, Chance, and Andy have all gone, like, totally off the rails. They're trying to capture Eddie, they think he's gonna hurt you," he said, point to you, then to Dustin, "and they think you know where he is. You're in terrible danger!"

Dustin sighed. "All right, yeah that definitely sucks, but we've got bigger problems that angry jocks right now."

Everyone turned around and Dustin gestured to Max. Lucas looked at her too, confused about the situation. But after breaking down the recent problems and everyone's suspicious vibe, he caught on.

"No."

Maxs lip trembled and she nodded. 

Nancy spoke up, "We know that Fred and Chrissy were killed in the past few days. They both had nightmares, headaches, nosebleeds... and a somewhat traumatic past event. They both died less that 24 hours after their first visions from Vecna."

The halls fell silent as Max breaths grew shaky. "And looking at what we know now, it looks like I'm going to die tomorrow."

Lucas shook his head, denying her discovery. "No, how do we know for sure? How do we know that Vecnas going to kill you? We know nothing about him!"

You stared into the floor as a thought crossed your brain. You had remembered something from the library articles. "Yeah, we don't. But there is someone who does."

You looked at Nancy and Robin as their faces lit up.

"No, you mean delusional Victor Creel? No!" Steve said, throwing the lamp to the ground.

You turned to him. "It's the only option! What are we supposed to do, let Max be afraid without trying to do anything to help?!"

Max awkwardly shifted. She doesn't want to die. 

She's not ready. No one's ever really ready.

Steve shook his head. "We'll think about it."

"This isn't up for discussion, Steve." Dustin said, looking over towards Max. Tears welled in her eyes. 

He sighed and rubbed his face. "Okay, yeah fine. I guess Victors our only option. We need to keep Max safe."

Everyone agreed and left the school. You exited the building and everyone stood in the parking lot.

Max stood next to Steve's car, holding onto the door handle. "You can just drop me off at my place." She said meekly. Her breaths were still shaken.

"Your house, are you kidding? We need to keep an eye on you. We need to protect you!" Steve replied, messing with his keys in his hand. 

Robin groaned "Well where are we all gonna go?" 

"My house should be fine. We have room in the basement, and I think my parents have some old newspapers about Creel. They keep everything." Nancy suggested, crossing her arms.

You raised an eyebrow, satisfied with the plans. "So Nancy's house it is. We'll take Nance' car, and Steve, you drive the kids. We'll meet you in 15."