Playing Detectives

The world felt as if it was slowed and silent. 

I totally forgot she worked there. She was the girl who made me feel so...

"Y/n...y/n!"

Your thoughts were interrupted by the incoming voice of Steve that grew as you snapped out of your thoughts. He shook his hand over your face.

"Hm?" You looked at him and swallowed the words caught in your throat.

"Movie recommendations?" Steve lowered his voice and subtlety gestured to a small group of girls in the store, patiently waiting for Steve to return with a movie. "They want horror," he pointed you to, then placed a hand on his hip, "and you know horrors not my first pick." 

You looked around the rack of scary movies and picked up The Shining. You handed the movie to Steve and gave him a sarcastic smile. "Hope it's so scary, they crap their pants." You looked back at the girls and made another quiet comment with a taunting smile. "Or their short shorts!"

Steve made a face at your immature comments and took the movie. "Thanks." He left and gave the movie to the customers and you went back to work. But you couldn't help but continue to take glances at Robin, who had gone back to her phone duties.

What am I doing? She's working, like I should be doing.

You tuned back into the music on the radio, humming along to Psycho Killer with the casual thwump of movies hitting shelves and ringing bell on the stores entrance. 

Your mind state of music and movies was interrupted by accidental eavesdropping on Steve's conversation with a customer. He handed her the copy of Doctor Zhivago and gave her a brief description of the movie. 

"So, my boyfriend won't like, totally puke when I bring it home?"

Steve's expression seemed shocked, yet disappointed. "Oh- your boyfriend...uh. No, no he's gonna love it."

She smiled at him and made her way to the counter to check out the movie. You chuckled at Steve, but his face seemed hurt and in a "that wasn't funny" mood. He went to check out her movie and send it home with her. 

The movie box was almost halfway empty, but there couldn't possibly be so many members in the Hellfire Club, so you decided to take a break. After all, they've gotta get a clue soon.

Steve followed the customer to the door and awkwardly let her leave. You put the box of movies down and returned to your seat on top of the counter. Robin hung up her phone and placed her hands on the counter.

You smiled at her and laughed. "You guys almost done playing Nancy Drew? Putting movies back is boring!"

She chuckled and walked over to you. Her voice was quiet and raspy. "Hopefully, I don't know how many more of Eddie's friends I can talk to before I accidentally let something slip." You continued to grin, but jumped a bit at the sudden slam of a phone. Max turned towards everyone and her face beamed. 

"I have a lead. Apparently, Eddie gets his drugs from some guy named Reefer Rick?  And sometimes, Eddie crashes there."

You let your feet dangle off the counter. "That sounds promising."

"So where does this Reefer Rick guy live?" Robin slowly started making her way back towards Dustin.

Max's tone changed. "See, that's the thing, no one knows. He more of a... legend than someone people actually know."

"Well, what about a last name?" You said, placing your hands on the edge of the counter.

Max shrugged. "We don't know that either."

"I bet the cops know the last name." Everyone look at Steve, who had finally decided to contribute to the conversation.

"What?" Max said, surprised he was still in a gloomy state of singleness.

"The cops." Steve was re-organizing some movies, then walked over to the counter,  "I mean, if this Reefer Rick guy is a real drug dealer, I bet he's been busted at some point, which means he's in the system."

Dustin stood up and went over to Steve. "The cops? Really, Steve, that's your suggestion?"

Steve looked away and shook his head. "I mean, I think at this point they should be filled in on what we know, what's going on."

"You think Eddie's guilty, don't you?" Dustin's expression became more disappointed and upset.

Steve shook his head again and put his hands out. "Whoa, I believe in innocent until proven guilty and all that constitutional shit! I just... you know, don't think we can rule it out."

Max walked over next to Dustin. "Thats precisely what we're trying to do here Steve."

Dustin added onto her comments, "And maybe we'd have a little more luck if you," Dustin pointed towards Steve, "spent less time trying to find a girlfriend," then he pointed at you, "and you stopped following his commands like he's some type of king, and actually spent more time trying to find Eddie!"

You put your hands out and complained and Steve began to protest. "Somebody has to attend to the customers, rights?"

Robin chuckled and winked at Steve "Especially if their babes, right?" 

Steve protested again, "Hey, not fair, okay? I attend all customers equally, babes and non-babes alike. We've got a very big selection in here, it can be super overwhelming for people, alright?"

You laughed at Steve's excuse for his girlfriend hunt, and suddenly, Robins eyes lit up.

"Yeah, it can be!" She smiled and ran to the computer.

—————————————————————

guyssss :(

I'm leaving for vacation tonight, so this might be the only chapter out for the next week. I'll try to write another, but idk if I'll have time.

Also, TYSM FOR 4K READSSSS! ILY GUYS :)