What Now Remains

Nerve wracking. Everything was nerve wracking for Childe as he sped through the battle on his way to their allies. 

His body was aching and it didn't help that he felt worst by the minute as electro surged his body.

Oddly enough though, their enemies didn't mind his as much. Sure he got caught on a couple of crossfires but nothing that made his situation much worst.

"Ajax? Is that Lumine? What happened?" Ayaka asked. It was odd hearing his name from other people, but Lumine called him that enough around others that they just called him that too.

"I'll explain later, we need to get a healer." He said, panicked. 

"Let's get her to safety first." Ayaka lead them to a nearby house. No one was home since they took the civilians to a much safer place. Only then did Childe's tension lessen, no longer did he need the extra boost he had earlier.

In the room was a small tanuki-like person sitting on a chair. The ninja was clearly on edge with the battle that was on going.

"Sayu, we need healing." Ayaka said. Sayu then nodded and grabbed a rolled up futon. She and Ayaka laid it down the floor for Lumine to lie down on.

"The other healers are out in the field backing up the others." Ayaka explained as she put the pillow down.

"Here let me help you." She offered to Childe but he said it was okay as he gently set Lumine down the bed.

"How bad is it?" He asked, his eyes not looking away from Lumine.

"I think I can fully heal her, but not right away." Sayu said as she summoned Muji-Muji Daruma. "I know a bit of first aid too so-"

"I can help." Childe offered right away. "I... do a bit of first aid on myself too. Fighting." He explained, chuckling softly to make it not sound weird. He let out a small cough and excused himself.

"Alright, I'll get the kit." Sayu said, going in one of the rooms.

There was a short silence in the room; Childe holding on one of Lumine's hand tightly, occassionally letting out small coughs, Muji-Muji Daruma bouncing as it gave healing to all in the room, Ayaka rummaging around the room for something, a snack maybe to calm Childe's nerves.

Ayaka wasn't as sure how to strike a conversation, specially not with someone she's not as used to talking to with. The only thing she and Childe had as close as a topic to was Lumine and at the moment that's not really something she thinks he'd talk about.

Luckily, the silence was then cut as Sayu swiftly went back.

"Here are the bandages." She said as she handed them to Childe. He then skillfully put it on Lumine's arm, Sayu giving a helping hand by handing what tool he needed next.

"This should do the trick." Childe said moving away for a bit. Sayu then nodded.

"Do you need help patching yourself up mister?" Sayu asked, staring at his slightly tattered clothes.

"No, I got myself healed-" he paused to cough then cleared his throat. "-your little buddy right there healed me while I was by Lumine." Childe pointed at Muji Muji Daruma.

"Okay, then my work here is done for now." Sayu nodded and went back to her sleeping position in her chair.

Ayaka let out a small laugh, sounding a bit exasperated but just shook it off. "Sayu..." She put her hand to her face as she shook her head.

Ayaka then looked at the two; Lumine seeming like she's sleeping peacefully, and Childe who sat by her with anxiety.

At the very least her breathing was more controlled. Unlike earlier before Sayu patched her up, her breathing was unusually slow, like she was trying hard to catch air. Childe still holding her hand tightly, his eyes not leaving her even for a bit.

Ayaka doubts Childe was tended completely with that simple heal, not after seeing him and noticing he has been coughing a lot. But seeing that he even shook off a healer's offer, she herself would not be able to help much.

Ayaka cleared her throat to get Childe's attention. "I guess I'll leave her to your care, I must return and help the others." Ayaka said.

Only then did he look her way and nodded. "Thank you." He said.

***

It's been a while since the incident happened. Yet, the traveler has still not awoken from her slumber.

Thankfully though, the battle was over for Inazuma. They were able to go back to their daily lives right after the army of the abyss simply retreated.

"New orders from the Prince." Is what their frontline reasoned. Though they doubt the new order would mean they'd not return.

News about the legendary traveler making the abyss retreat spread fast. Well, they weren't completely wrong.

"Childe, shouldn't you eat more? Look at all these leftovers." Paimon scolded, but she wasn't even given any attention.

She just sighed and turned to Thoma and shook her head. Thoma also did the same, the two sharing worried looks on their faces.

They moved Lumine to the Kamisato Estate to better monitor her. It was odd though, she didn't sustain much physical damage yet it's taking her this much time to recover.

That's why instead of seeking another healer, they then referred to the Guuji of the Narukami Shrine.

Her verdict? The incident didn't break her physically, but rather mentally. And her taking this long is a testament of how much stress she's been shouldering.

One can only imagine the weight she's bearing, the legendary traveler that everyone has expectations of.

Childe was no exemption from that. He expected so much of her too. So much he failed to see how much this must've burdened her.

It was the gifted child's burnout.

"This wouldn't have happened if I just listened to you." He muttered to himself and squeezed her hand. He let his head down and clenched his jaw.

"I shouldn't have challenged him. We should've just walked away." He began rambling.

"This is all my fault."