Strings

"Does Lumine know about this?" Paimon asked, evidently concerned.

Childe paused. "Yes." He said, trying his best to seem confident. His hesitance before answering was easily caught on by a certain fox.

"What did she say about it?" Ayaka looked him at the eyes. Childe looked away.

"She said she'll think about it first." He muttered.

Paimon had her doubts, but shrugged it off. "Okay, if you say so." She said.

***

"How are you feeling?" Lumine asked. Childe took a deep breath, his eyebrows furrowed, then looked at Lumine.

"I'm gonna make you worry however I respond to that." Childe just said. Lumine also sighed before sitting beside him.

Kokomi was thankfully able to help him, in a way. He wasn't feeling weak, at least that's how it seemed to him. He could walk better, stand properly, but then again, he could already do those after a couple of hours of rest.

His situation is really... not the best.

"Well, go get some more rest." Lumine said.

"I know." Childe sighed again.

He leaned over to her, resting his head on her shoulder. It wasn't comfortable by any means, his back would surely hurt, so will his neck, but that didn't matter. At that moment, he felt relaxed.

In the Kamisato Estate, they were surrounded by sounds of nature that would calm one's head. The sound of the ocean, birds in the forest, the breeze. A state of bliss, if that was an ideal scenario for one.

Childe reached for Lumine's hand, to which Lumine intertwined hers to without hesitation. "Starlight..." He started.

"Hmm?" She hummed in response.

"I think I know how to... I think I know what might help" He paused. "-with my... situation."

"And that is?" She asked. She was gently massaging his hand with her thumb, staring into the sky.

For a moment, Childe was silent. Hesitating. "Well..." He said. In his head he was debating whether to actually say what he thought of, or just divert the conversation. He could only think of one outcome for the first option, the latter seemed more enticing albeit will be a little poorly timed again.

"What is it?" Lumine asked, finally facing him. Childe faced her as well.

"Snezhnaya." He said. Lumine didn't say a word, which surprised him a little.

"I think the answer might be in Snezhnaya." He added just to break her silence.

Lumine took a sharp breath, blinked a couple of times as she lightly shook her head. "Okay." She said. Childe looked at her, anticipating the next thing she'll say.

"When do we go?" She asked.

"No." He instantly said. He knew she was going to say it. It was as he anticipated it.

"What?" Lumine's eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm the only one who's going." Childe said.

"What?" Lumine repeated.

"You're staying here." He held her shoulders. "I need you to stay here."

"Need me to stay... here? What do you mean?" Lumine was starting to get frustrated. "No, I'm coming with you." She instantly said.

"You don't understand, I need you to stay here so I know that you're safe." Childe explained.

"While you go there like that?" Lumine gestured to him. "Heck no."