The Puppet's Strings

Once again, they found themselves in the Serenitea Pot. In the living room they sat on the couch settled in front of the fireplace.

"Are you familiar of the Balladeer?" Childe asked.

"The harbinger?" Lumine answered with a question, unsure if they were talking of the same person.

"Yes." Childe said. He took a deep breath. "He's here. In Inazuma." He started.

"So I heard." Lumine confirmed.

"Wait, you knew?" He looked shocked.

"From way before my incident, I was told by Lady Yae Miko." Lumine explained. "Though it's news to me that he's still here."

"So he's been here all along?" Childe muttered to himself. He then shrugged it off. It shouldn't be his focus for now.

"Well, I saw him. Or more like he saw me." Childe said. "And he told me something, I can't tell what he wanted to gain from it but it did feel like a threat."

"What?" Lumine asked, confused.

"He said something about a gnosis. And how you... are worth one." Childe said. "And that he's not the only one who knows of that information."

"I'm worth a gnosis? That's..."

"I'm not letting them take you." Childe said, grabbing her hand. His eyes looking at hers intensely. "I'll protect you."

Lumine paused. "Take me?"

"If the harbingers would dare lay a hand on you I'll personally make them pay." Childe said.

"Slow down Ajax." Lumine said. "I'm still thinking about the gnosis part."

"Well, you're valuable for them too." Childe explained. "But you're valuable to them in a different way."

"They see me as a bigger threat." Lumine said.

"Exactly." Childe agreed. "And when the time comes that you have to face them, I'll be there. I won't let you go alone."

Lumine looked at him, his worry visible on his eyes. "Thank you Ajax." She said. "I'll keep that in mind."

***

"Where have you two been? Paimon's been looking all over for you." Paimon stomped her feet midair.

"Sorry Paimon, just needed to talk about something real important." Lumine said. "I'll tell you about it later."

Paimon crossed her arms. "Hmm, okay but make sure to not leave out any detail." She said, sounding a little suspicious of the said conversation.

"I promise." Lumine said. "So, where's Ayaka and the others?"

They all looked around the Kamisato Estate. It was the same setting, not as lively as when Lumine awoke from her slumber, but it was still bustling with busy people as the Yashiro Commission has their hands full with the festival preparation.

Ayaka wasn't there. So was Ayato, but he was rarely seen there anyway. Thoma, on the other hand, was present. The Kamisato Clan's trusted housekeeper was making sure that the house was indeed well kept.

"M'lady should be back in a couple more minutes, are you guys getting hungry?" Thoma asked their guests, though at this point they might as well be considered new residents.

"Oh, it's okay. I was jut wondering about where she was." Lumine said. "We have to discuss something with her, and maybe Ayato as well, so if they're free for later...?"

"I'll inform them." Thoma gave her a nod.

"Thanks Thoma. Paimon and I will be in the Serenitea Pot." Lumine said. And with that they left.

Childe then stood beside Thoma. "Need any help?" He offered.

Thoma paused, putting his fingers to his chin. "Hmm, I think m'lady's library needs a little dusting. She and the traveler has been hanging out there a lot as of recently so I figured cleaning it might be good."

"I'll lend you a hand." Childe said.

"You have my thanks." Thoma said, leading the way.

***

After dinner, Lumine held a short meeting with the Kamisato siblings informing them of the possible presence of a certain harbinger.

Of course it wasn't just for Lumine's sake but for the festival goers' as well. It wouldn't be part of their festival plans to have uninvited guests over. Given that the festival has oversees guests as well, it's crucial that they guarantee their safety.

It's going to leave a bad stain on Inazuma's image if something like that happens in their first event in a while that's open for every nation.

"If they're after me, then distancing myself from the area might be for the best." Was Lumine's suggestion.

"Nonsense, having you around would have more pros than cons." Ayato insisted.

A well-known traveler being a guest in the said festival, it was sure to attract more interested people as well. Ayato is aware of the pros and cons of that but given the fact that the traveler was well-acquainted with people from other nations, it's well worth the risk.

"We'll go as planned." Ayato said. "But I will inform the Teryou Commission of your concern." 

"Thank you." Lumine said.

"I'll also keep you company from time to time if it'll help." Ayaka offered.

"I'd be honored." Lumine replied.