Welcome Wagon

"Wake up, she's here. You wouldn't want to keep her waiting, do you?" The masked man said with a grin as he patted Childe's shoulder.

Childe immediately swatted his hand away. "I know." He scowled.

***

"We're here. Snezhnaya." Paimon put her hands an her waist.

"Put these on. I don't want you freezing to death." Lumine handed Paimon earmuffs and mittens.

"Thanks." Paimon beamed a smile. She quickly put it on and floated ahead of Lumine.

"Next stop. Morepesok!" Paimon said energetically.

***

"I think our little traveler friend will need some escorts." The masked man said.

"No need." Childe said. "I'm going by myself."

"I don't think so." The man shook his head.

"I'll return." Childe furrowed his eyebrows. "I always do." He looked away.

The masked man raised an eyebrow. "Point taken." He laughed. "Very well."

***

"Ajax!" Lumine ran to him. The instant that they saw each other, they both ran into a hug.

"Starlight. You actually came." He said, sounding genuinely surprised.

"Of course I did." Lumine simply said. "I'm honored to have this opportunity."

Childe couldn't help but just smile. Weakly.

He pulled her in for another hug. This time, a little tighter. "I missed you. So much." He said.

Lumine giggled. "I missed you so much too." She pulled away.

"So... where's Teucer and the others?" She asked excitedly.

Childe laughed. "Can't I have you for myself for a little longer?" He asked.

"Ajax..." Lumine raised an eyebrow at him.

"Just for a little while. I want to show you around first." He said.

Lumine sighed. "Alright. Just for a while."

And so, as Childe said, they went around for a little while; Childe showing her his hometown and spots from his childhood.

He shared stories. He shared a lot of them.

And as the time passed, he knew that little trip would eventually end.

"And for our final destination of the day, it's going to be a little farther. Bear with me." Childe said.

"Is it another one of your favorite spots as a kid?" She asked.

Childe laughed. "Well... not exactly." He said.

He didn't say anything else. He just held her hands tightly. Very tightly.

***

It was like being in one of those abandoned cabins or bases that was a little too familiar for comfort for Lumine.

Something was off.

She saw it coming. She knew it was going to happen, but she wanted to believe it wasn't the case.

But right now, the very thing she anticipated is staring her at the face.

Childe disappeared out of nowhere and now she's on her own in an unknown place.