The Masterplan

"Oh, the two lovebirds, enjoying the evening stroll?" The Yashiro Commissioner waved at the two. He has just come back from his responsibilities and was on his way home.

"Just taking a little breather." Childe waved back.

"I see. Well, don't be out too late. I hear Thoma's preparing his specialty tonight." Ayato said.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." Lumine said, Childe nodding in agreement.

With another wave, the two was left alone once again.

Lumine took the initiative and held his hand. There was silence as they walked, hands intertwined as it swung lightly.

"Is this going to be a usual thing for us?" Childe asked.

"What?" Lumine asked.

"Evening strolls." He explained.

Lumine smiled. "Only if you want it to be." She said. "Plus it's good for you, getting to stretch and all."

Childe laughed. "I see, you just want me to exercise." He said.

"It's good for you." She just repeated.

He laughed once again, leaning close to give a peck on her forehead.

Lumine just smiled. But then a sudden shift on her expression. "How's packing going?"

Childe's breath hitched. "It's... getting there. I still have my other essentials to pack."

Lumine nodded.

"You seem more excited about this than me." He joked.

"The sooner you leave, the sooner you can come back." She said.

Childe paused.

"What? Am I wrong?" Lumine looked at him confused. "That reminds me, how many days should I wait for you? Five days? Six?"

Childe chuckled. "Starlight, five days? That's the only my trip going to Snezhnaya, and a few days to go back. I don't even think I'll be able to go there then come back in five days. I'll still be on the boat by then, on my way back here."

"So six days then?" Lumine said.

An even heartier laugh from Childe. "You'll miss me that much for that quick?"

"Yeah. Sure." Lumine said.

Childe couldn't tell if it was from Lumine's words or from laughing, but his cheeks and ears felt hot.

"What? Why are you laughing?" Lumine asked, starting to feel flustered.

"A month." He said, after recovering from his laughing. "At least."

Lumine's eyebrows furrowed, her frown very evident. "Why so long?" She muttered.

"Hmm? What was that?" He asked, though he heard it.

"If you're not back by then, I'm going to look for you in Snezhnaya myself." Lumine said, with much determination.

"You don't have to-" Childe paused. "A month and a week. But I'll write to you, just for measure that we're not going to pass each other or something." 

"Okay. I'll wait for those letters." Lumine said.

And just like that, a compromise. 

***

"How long is a month?" Lumine asked Paimon as they walked.

"Well, a month is... you know... a month." Paimon replied.