twenty-nine

I woke up before Ashton. I quietly got out of bed and snuck into the kitchen. As best as I could, I made breakfast without making too much noise. And when it was finally done, I cut the shape of a heart into the pancake. I put everything I made onto a plate and set it on the table along with three balloons and a small box in wrapping paper with a bow.

It was maybe 5 minutes later that Ashton came stumbling out of the room. He wore sweats that hung dangerously low and nothing on his upper body. He shuffled his feet against the floor and put a hand to his mouth as he yawned.

"Morning Luke." He said.

"Morning baby." I walked over to him and gave him a hug then kissed his cheek. "Happy birthday."

"Oh right. It's that day isn't it." He rested his head against my chest and loosely set his hands on my hips.

"Yeah. It is. And you're old."

"Shut up you're going to be 19 next week."

"Yeah but you're still older than me and I'm still not in my twenties."

He groaned. "I'm so old."

"Maybe." I told him. "But you're still shorter than me." He didn't say anything but kissed me then pulled away and looked at the table.

"Did you make breakfast?" He asked.

"I did."

"Looks good."

"Then eat it."

He smiled at me then sat down and I sat across from him. He looked down at his pancake then looked back up at me and raised an eyebrow. I smiled at him as I took a sip of my coffee.

"You're an idiot." He told me.

"I'm your idiot."

"Thank god for that." He said smiling. He took a bite and we sat in silence as we ate.

Then his phone rang. He checked to see who it was.

"It's my mum." He told me.

"Answer it."

He did.

"Hi mum." He said into the phone. I couldn't hear the other end of the call. "Thank you... No not yet... Well I'm sure I'll love it... Yeah. Yeah put them on.... Okay thanks mum.... Love you too." There was a silence for a moment and during it he looked up at me then grabbed my hand from across the table. He smiled and I smiled back. Then there was some muffled noises from the phone and Ashton smiled again. "Hey guys! Thank you.... No not yet but mum told me it's on its way.... Today? I don't have many plans. Just hang around at home and watch some Netflix.... Yeah no big plans but I'm fine with that.... I love you guys too... Thanks. Bye." He hung up the phone then looked at me.

"You know sitting on the couch watching Netflix does sound amazing. We haven't done that in a long time." I told him and he smirked.

"That sounds great. As long as there's cake I'll do anything today."

"It's your birthday. Obviously there will be cake." He laughed. "Are you done?" I asked gesturing to his plate. He looked down at it and nodded.

"Yeah. It was delicious Luke. Thank you."

I picked up our dirty dishes and put them in the sink.

"Anything for you." I said when I was back at the table and I kissed his cheek.

Then I sat back down and pushed the present across the table towards him.

"Open it." I told him.

He took it from me and grinned. Ashton slowly untied the bow and ripped off the wrapping paper. He tossed it to the side and held a small grey box in his hand, then he opened the box. I watched his fsce as his eyes widened and he pulled the small chain out of the box. He held the metal charm shaped as a guitar pick in his hand and moved It closer to his face. His smile grew and he looked up at me.

"Luke. It's beautiful. Did you pay to get this engraved?" He gestured to the small lettering which read:

LH + AI
Feb. 16, 15

"Yeah I did." I told him. "Do you like it? It isn't too cheesy or lame?"

"Well it's as cheesy and lame as the person who bought it." He smirked. "Which is why I love it."

I love you.

I didn't say it. Again. I thought it. I didn't say it. But I wanted to. And I should have. But I didnt.

Instead I smiled and took his hand in mine. And just thought those small 3 words over and over again.

~

surprise!! don't get used to this it's a one time thing.

and it's only because today is my last day of classes. I start finals on Tuesday (stress) then Wednesday is my last one so then it's summer and I'm going to the fair next Saturday and having pizza with my friend tonight and yeah!

anyways

have a good weekend love you guys

-ash