one

I met him a year ago. At a cafe. I don't think I remember any day as well as that one.

I was only 19 at the time. It was a Monday. In London, England. I worked at a little cafe on a corner of a quiet street.

It had been raining and everyone was at work so we weren't very busy. No one was in the cafe so I sat in a booth in the back reading a book.

I had been considering closing up for the day until I heard the little bell above the door ring letting me know someone had came inside.

I looked up from my book and saw him. I recognised him. My little sister was a fan of his band. He was her favourite. Luke Hemmings from 5 Seconds of Summer.

He walked over to the counter and looked around seeing if anyone was around. I stood up from my table and walked behind the counter.

"Hi. Can I get you anything?" I asked him. My voice a little shaky. He was tall. Not much taller than me but still tall.

"Just a coffee please." He replied.

I nodded and entered it into the cash register.

"$2.50 please."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a bill. I took it from him and handed him the correct change.

I wanted to say something but I had no idea what I could say. So instead I went and made him a cup of coffee. After I finished I brought it to the table he was sitting at.

I set it on the table and he looked up from his phone giving me a small smile.

"Thanks." He said.

"No problem." I was going to walk away but I couldn't. I turned back around to face him. "You're Luke Hemmings."

"Yeah. I guess I am." He said seeming disappointed.

"You don't seem happy about that." I didn't know if this was something I should really be saying but I did anyway.

He let out a loud sigh.

"Do you mind if I sit down?" I asked, gesturing to the empty seat across from him.

"Go ahead." He said. I sat down in the chair and he began to speak. "Sometimes," he started. It took him a moment before he said anything else, "sometimes I wish 'Luke Hemmings' was just my name. Not a title."

"What do you mean?" I was interested for many reasons. One, what Luke was so upset about and two, that he was telling me.

"I just want to be able to have a secret. I don't want to have to feel bad about keeping something from fans even though if I told them, it could ruin my image." He shook his head. "I had to break up with my girlfriend last week because if I told her she would tell everyone else. I can't tell anyone anything without the world finding out."

"What about the other people in your band?" I questioned.

"No. They wouldn't understand." He said, sighing again. "I just-" he paused "I just want to be able to tell someone. You know?"

"Yeah." I nodded. "I know."

"Do you-" he stopped.

"Do I what?" I encouraged.

"Do you think that I could tell you?" He asked. I was shocked to say the least. I couldn't believe that Luke wanted to tell me his secret.

"But-But I'm just a stranger. You don't even know me."

"Sometimes strangers are the best people to tell. And I need to tell someone."

"You're not worried I'm going to go tell all your fans?" I wasn't but how did he know that.