Jennie

Bumping my bike over the curb, I allow it to roll down the small embankment into the tree line. Kicking the stand down, I take off my helmet, sending long dark strands cascading down my back.

(Her outfit ^)

(Her outfit ^)

The scent of the woods wraps around me, the pine
trees, the earth, the moss. After the confines of the
city, it's a welcome reprieve that revitalizes me.

The city is too loud, the cars, the people, it both overwhelms and numbs my senses. Out here, I can hear everything and nothing, because silence reigns, disturbed only by the occasional chitter of a bird.

Placing a cap over my head, I start jogging up the
road, clinging to the shadows as I approach the
house.

To the unsuspecting person looking in, this is merely the Hamptons mansion of some guy with a fuck lot of money, I know better.

This is the fortress of Taehyung Kim, the underboss of the Italian Mafia.

Not many outsiders will ever see the inside of those walls, and I am always an outsider. It's why they hire me.

I wait until the guards change; taking advantage of their small moment of distraction to make for the six-foot high stone pillar that sits to the left of the enormous metal gate, just in the shadow of the guardhouse.

Gripping the ledge, I haul myself up, launching straight over the top and landing on the other side in a silent roll. I pause, waiting, listening. My senses are attuned, picking up the slightest sound and movement. I can tune it all out or allow it all in. The faint panting of a dog and the clumsy footfalls of heavy boots are all I hear.

Thirty seconds is all I have to get to the house.

I run over the dark lawns, but the closer I get, the riskier it is. The mansion is like a modern palace, made of glass walls that allow light to spill out across all that surrounds it. There are at least three snipers on the roof along with four-guard patrols circling the perimeter and six directly surrounding the house.

Scanning the house, I spot one of the upstairs guest rooms has a window that is ajar. The enormous pane of glass is tilted from a central pivot, and the room behind it is cast in darkness, one of the few that isn't lit up like a Christmas tree. The guard below the window seems distracted, bored. Making a break for it, I sprint into the light cast across the lawn and outflank him.

My feet whisper across the grass as I run up behind him, jumping and wrapping my thighs around his hips in order to leverage my arm around his throat.

He staggers for a moment and slams back into the wall, winding me as he tries to pry my arm off his throat. I squeeze harder, using everything I have to crush his thick neck. And then he goes down, hitting the ground with a soft thud.

I land lightly on my feet beside his unconscious body, my chest heaving with the effort. Now...I just need to scale the building and slip in the second-storey window.