65

Jungkook

It's cold as fuck.

I'm sitting in a car with Yoongi in the passenger seat, and we're parked at the side of a narrow country road that's halfway hidden under the cover of the forest. Snow falls all around us, and even though I can see my breath in front of my face, we can't turn the engine on.

 Snow falls all around us, and even though I can see my breath in front of my face, we can't turn the engine on

Jungkook's outfit ^

The deal I made with Sasha was vague at best. He would help me. Help Jennie. But I had to stop the killings, lay low and wait for him to contact me.

So, I agreed and he went back to Russia with an authentic looking bullet hole in his shoulder.

It hasn't been easy. It's been weeks and everything has been eerily quiet. Doing nothing has felt like a slow torture.

Sasha's message was simple. A set of co-ordinates and a time and date, along with the instruction to stay out of sight until the time is right. That was it. I don't know what we're waiting for, or when that right time will be, but we have ten minutes until whatever is supposed to be happening will happen. Of course, the co-ordinates were for just outside Smolensk, near the Russia and Belarus border.

I'm on edge because we're in Russia.

I can only hope that means Jennie has somehow escaped.

The ten minutes come and go, and I'm getting more and more agitated when we see a set of headlights round the corner. We've been here for nearly an hour and I haven't seen one car on this road.

The car passes us and pulls into a shallow shoulder before it cuts its engine.

Yoongi glances at me. "Sasha could have been a little more informative." He remarks.

I say nothing as I keep my eyes locked on that car. No one gets out. It just sits there.

And then, a few minutes later, another set of headlights. A truck. It slows as it approaches and pulls into the shoulder behind the car. The doors of the car open and two guys get out, both armed with rifles.

"I guess this is it." Yoongi says.

I take my gun from its spot on the dashboard. "Go in fast and hard. They won't be expecting us."

He nods, palming his gun as we quietly leave the car. The powdery snow makes our footfalls completely silent. The bitter cold threatens to make my fingers numb. We follow the tree line until we're right across the road from the truck. Two men have gotten out of it and the group of four are approaching the back of the truck.

There's the loud clatter of the roller door being lifted, and then I hear it, a tiny cry coming from the back of that truck.

The cry of a baby.

I'm running across that road before the men have even really registered it. I shoot two of them before a rifle is pointed my way. Yoongi is right behind me though, taking them out.

I get to the back of the truck and look inside. It's dark, but I can make out shelves, stacked with weapons, boxes of amo and supplies. And in the corner, the source of that tiny cry.

I jump inside and get out my phone, turning on the flashlight. There's a black duffel bag hidden behind crates of explosives. I can't think about that now though. I unzip the bag, and there, wrapped in several blankets is a tiny baby.

My baby

My baby.

I pick up the scrap of paper that's tucked into the blanket and read over the messy writing.

I cannot help Jennie, but she will be fine.

Look after her son. He is her happiness.

I swallow the lump in my throat and scoop up my baby, my boy, holding him to my chest.

I owe Sasha a debt that I can never repay.

Jumping down from the back of the truck, I meet Yoongi's gaze. A soft smile pulls at his lips as he glances at the bundle of blankets screaming in my arms.

"She did it." He says.

I nod. She did and now I can only hope that this wasn't a sacrifice.

As I hold him in my arms, I've never loved Jennie more.

I need her.

He needs her.

I will protect our son with my life until she comes home. She promised me.

"Blow up the truck." I say, stepping over bodies as I head back to the car.