21

Jungkook

The sound of screaming jolts me awake. I groan and throw the covers back, getting out of bed.

The second I open the door she lets out another scream but it's not coming from her room, it's coming from downstairs. Descending the stairs, I find her on the couch, tossing and thrashing in her sleep. George is sitting bolt upright at the end of the couch, watch ing her like he's witnessing an exorcism.

"Alex.." She cries, her voice shrill and staggered. A small whimper leaves her lips and she suddenly no longer seems like a lethal killer, more like a scared little girl.

"Jennie." I shove her shoulder but keep my distance because I'm not a fan of what follows when she wakes up.

She sits bolt upright and her eyes dart around the room. Her face slowly twists towards me, though I can't clearly make out her expression in the darkness.

"Why are you on the fucking couch?" I snap. I'm tired and this exact moment is the culmination of a line of shit events.

When she doesn't say anything I exhale an impatient breath before reaching for her hand and pulling her off the couch.

"What are you..?" She says.

Throwing her over my shoulder, she squeaks before going rigid stiff. I don't care. I carry her up the stairs and along the hallway into my room before tossing her on the bed.

She grits her teeth when she lands on the bed. She's still wearing that black dress which is hiked up her thighs, exposing her legs. And of course, I know she's not wearing any underwear.

I drag my eyes to her face but her gaze is dropped away from me. She pulls her knees up to her chest and wraps her arms around her legs. I'm waiting for her to bitch and moan at me but she doesn't. Instead, she withdraws into herself, as if I'm not even in the room.

For long moments, nothing but silence reigns between us, and I can almost feel her turmoil from here.

I don't care that she has nightmares, because any half sane person in her position would. You don't get to be the kiss of death without seeing and doing horrific things. After a while you become numb to it, acts that seemed so monstrous before slowly fade in your mind until they're just normal. Emotions that were once sharp and colourful become dull and grey. I think the mind can shut down and be repressed with consciousness, but without that, it rebels, taunting us with the things we've done.

No, the nightmares are no concern of mine, but the fact that she always calls for this Alex. that concerns me. When she calls his name, she sounds so tortured.

"Who's Alex?" I ask her, folding my arms over my chest and staring down at her.

She takes a deep breath. "I told you, someone I killed."

"You've killed a lot of people, jugeum, and you aren't screaming their names in your sleep. So, I'll ask again, who is he?" I don't know what it is about it that irritates me. Perhaps because this Alex seems to be the only chink in that impenetrable armour of hers besides her sister. Jennie doesn't have chinks, and for him to be on any kind of level with Soojin, well, he must be important.

"Was. He was my friend." She whispers, turning her face towards me. Her eyes hold mine in the darkness, so hard, so sad. "And in a way, I loved him."

I narrow my eyes. "I didn't think you're capable." I say acerbically.

She turns her face away again and knots the sheets beneath her between her fingers. When I'm sure she's going to say no more, she starts talking. "I was fifteen years old and naïve. I thought I loved him and Nicholai didn't like it, so I was forced to choose between him and myself. I chose me. Killing Alex made me what I am. Nicholai was right to do it, Alex was a weakness, it made me strong." She says the words but they're robotic, as though she's recited them to herself a hundred times.