56

Jungkook

I lean against the breakfast bar, clasping a cup of coffee in my hands. It's early and orange-tinged light pours through the windows of the sky scraper, painting everything in a tranquil hue.

I like this time in the morning, before the world stirs awake. It's as if you're the only person, embroiled in this serene moment of peace, a pause in time before the world starts spinning again and everything that exists in day-to-day life comes pouring back in.

And this morning, I need this moment to think.

I left Jennie in bed sleeping. She tossed and turned all night. Her nightmares haunted her well into the early hours. It's been a while since she's had one, but I guess the stress of Nicholai hunting her is forcing them to the surface again.

She's so fucking strong, but I see how broken she is. He did that to her.

He made her lethal, and in many ways, he instilled all the traits I love in her, but for the first time in my life I'm starting to see that strength comes at a price.

I want my child to be strong, but I would never want them to pay the price she has. And neither does she. This is what haunts her. I hear her words, I see her fight, but I also catch glimpses of the resignation in her eyes.

I will win this war with that bastard one way or the other.

He broke Jennie, but I will keep her.

I will make her a queen to be feared by all except me.

And he will never touch my child.

"Boss."

I glance around to see Yoongi standing in the entrance of the kitchen. It's not even six-thirty and he's here, in my apartment, looking as sharp as ever.

Doesn't the guy sleep? Shit.

"We have a small problem." He says.

I jerk my head towards the door and he follows me to the living room. I take a seat on the couch and pick up a packet of cigarettes from the coffee table, placing one between my lips. He sits on the opposite couch and I slide the smokes across the table to him.

"Ziggie." He says simply.

I frown as I light my cigarette, inhaling the satisfying smoke deep into my lungs. "What about him?"

"Namjoon went to pick up last night, and it was twenty grand light. He said he'll pay it next week, but..." He lifts one eyebrow as he inhales on his smoke.

Fucks sake.

Ziggie works Brooklyn, runs a gang down there. For the most part, they're nothing more than ghetto boys and addicts, but they make me good money. Ziggie somehow manages to organize them, a feat that not many could achieve. For that reason, he's useful to me, but this is the second time he's taken it upon himself to borrow fucking money.

The problem with dogs like Ziggie is the second you take your heel off their throats, they bite you, even if you are the hand that feeds them.

"Namjoon roughed him up a bit, but well, you know what he did to him the first time."

Yeah, the first time Ziggie stole money Namjoon broke both his legs. You'd think that would be an incentive not to have a repeat.

"Okay, go and get him. Call me when you have him. I'll handle it." I say.

Yoongi nods and pushes to his feet, stubbing out his cigarette in the ash tray.

Fucking gang bangers. I don't need this shit right now, but I have to handle it. I'm not about to let my city go to shit while I have the Russian breathing down our necks. Unfortunately, the world does keep turning, no matter what shit is going on.