67

Jennie

A month later:

I close my eyes and grit my teeth, waiting for the touch to come. My entire body is trembling, demanding I react.

Her outfit ^

Her outfit ^

I've been here before, back when I was trained, but that was to purpose, for a reason. This...this just feels like punishment and slowly, piece by piece, it is shredding my humanity.

I hear the shifting of feet.

A palm slams around my arm, the cool metal of the glove touching my skin before unloading a massive electric shock.

Kill, kill, kill. It's my only thought, over and over until I can comprehend nothing else.

My mind shuts down, completely blank.

I react, instinct overriding everything. It's as though I'm watching a TV, watching someone else break the man's arm and snap his neck with such force that his lower jaw comes almost completely loose.

Another Elite moves towards me and I watch as I go hand to hand with him. He raises a gun and I shove his wrist to the side, snapping his arm until the gun is pointed at his own chest, then I squeeze the trigger twice, ending him. Another starts to approach.

"Достаточно! {Enough!}" Sasha's voice booms through the room and I lean against the far wall.

I wing my gun in his direction, then at Nicholai standing against the far wall.

"Дженни, опусти пистолет. {Jennie, drop the gun.}" It's Sasha.

I try and force my body to obey, my fingers to release the gun. My hand shakes.

He moves closer until the barrel of the gun is against his chest. "Дженни, посмотри на меня. {Jennie, look at me.}" I look at him and he wraps his fingers around the gun, careful not to touch me. I slowly release the gun and stagger back a step. Squeezing my eyes shut, I try to force the red mist from my mind. I drop to a crouch and press the heels of my hands against my eyelids.

"Ты слишком далеко зашел на нее. {You push her too far.}" Sasha says.

"Я даю ей то, что ей нужно. {I give her what she needs.}" is Nicholas cool response.

"Она сломается. Ее навыки не имеют себе равных, но если вы сломаете ее разум, она будет бесполезна для нас. Если вы хотите ее так наказать, просто пристрелите ее уже. {She will break. Her skills are unparalleled, but if you break her mind, she will be out of no use to us. If you wish to punish her so, just shoot her already.}"

"Вы забываете свое место. {You forget your place.}" Nicholai growls. "Я тренирую солдат. И она у меня лучшая. {I train the soldiers. And she is my best.}" I hear the heavy steel door open and then close again.

"Дженни. {Jennie.}"

I open my eyes and glance up at Sasha who is towering over me. The floor around him is covered in blood. And two mangled bodies lay at the center of the mess. "Иди и приберись. {Go and get cleaned up.}" He jerks his head towards the door and I stand, walking down the hallway.

He's been doing this for a month straight, forcing me to endure and kill. It's simple, instinct and lack of conscience are what make the perfect killer. Touch conditioning hones in on the most primal of instincts, forcing the things that make us fundamentally human from our mind, and without that, emotions- affection, love- they are all inconsequential.

He's turning me into an animal and there's nothing I can do to stop it.