68

Jennie

One month later:

I grip the smooth length of wood, wrapping my fingers around it.

Her outfit ^

Her outfit ^

Vadim stands across from me, his arms braced wide as he grips his own staff. A small smile touches his lips as he watches me through the dirty blonde hair which has fallen over his face. He's a few years younger than me, but he's good.

I shift to the left and he does the same, mimicking my movements. I study the way he glides over the ground, and he does the same to me.

Suddenly, he breaks away, coming at me. The two sticks crack against each other, moving so fast that it's nothing more than a series of clicks. He strikes forward, but reaches too far. I manage to maneuver to the side, slam my stick across his shoulder blades, and step on his foot, sending him crashing to the ground.

I walk off to the side of the improvised ring, cracking my hands. Sasha is standing close, his hands clasped tightly behind his back as he watches me. He has grilled me constantly for weeks, and finally, my body is what it once was.

To attack and kill is again as instinctual to my muscles as breathing.

I hear Vadim get to his feet, and then he's rushing to me. I smile.

Stupid boy.

Sasha's eyebrows raise a fraction and I bring my knee up, cracking the wood over it. In a split second I whirl and launch the splintered piece of wood like a spear. It hits Vadim in the shoulder so hard that he ends up on his back on concrete. I walk over and stare down at him, clutching at the piece of wood protruding from his mangled shoulder. That familiar sense of satisfaction washes over me, power and the sheer thrill of violence are like a drug.

"Это был не честный бой. {That wasn't a fair fight.}" He says, panting.

I offer him nothing as I place my boot on his chest. "Нет такого понятия, как честный бой. Используйте имеющееся у вас оружие. Будьте умнее своего оппонента. {There is no such thing as a fair fight. Use the weapons you have. Be smarter than your opponent.}" I grab the wood, yanking it out of him. He grunts in pain, squeezing his eyes shut. "И будь благодарен, что я целился тебе в плечо, а не в горло. {And be grateful I aimed for your shoulder and not your throat.}"

Sasha comes to stand beside me, waving over someone to help Vadim. "Отведите его к врачу. {Take him to medical.}"

The room fills with the sound of a slow clapping and both Sasha and I turn to see Nicholai walking across the training area, a wide smile on his face. "Ах, маленький голубка, ты снова стала собой. Такой безжалостный. {Ah, little dove, you have become yourself again. So merciless.}" He smiles. "У меня есть работа для вас обоих. Кажется, Рафаэлю Д'Крузу нужна твоя сестра, маленький голубка. {I have a job for you both. It seems Rafael D'Cruze would like your sister, little dove.}"