Confessions

"So, how was last night?" I shoved a fry into my mouth as I looked over at Juliet sitting across from me. I watched as she wiggled in her chair, not knowing how to answer my question and probably wondering if I meant something by it. 

"What do you mean?" Juliet took a sip of her water. 

"I mean, how was your night out with Max?" I couldn't help the mischievous smile that made its way onto my face. I knew too much and I was playing a very dangerous game. If I played it right, I would get a confession out of Juliet and I could no longer act like I didn't know, or I lose and Juliet gets upset with the group. 

"Oh, yeah, um, it was a lot of fun." Juliet forced a smile on her face as she nodded. I raised an eyebrow at her and leaned forward. 

"What did you guys do?" I questioned further. 

"Um, we were at the arcade the whole time. Nothing more, nothing less." Juliet bit into her burger as she became nervous. I'm so close to the truth, I can feel it. 

"How about you let Juliet eat her food." Eddie spoke up next to me. I turned to look at him as he gave me a stern look. I frowned before sitting back in my chair. I could feel Eddie's arm wrapped around the back of my chair and I loved it. It was as if he was showing me off and protecting me at the same time. 

I grumbled in my seat, making Eddie laugh at me, as I finished off my plate. At that same time, a crowd of Hawkins High cheerleaders and basketball players came into the diner. They were loud and obnoxious, not caring about the others enjoying their meals around them. I felt Eddie's hand around my seat tighten as he pulled me closer to his side, keeping a close eye on Jason.

I hadn't seen Jason in a long time, which was weird to me since he seemed to pop up everywhere he could. I watched as he looked over, catching Eddie's eye, then immediately looking back down. That was odd. Jason looking afraid of Eddie? 

"Oh my gosh, (Y/N)?" Chrissy grabbed me out of my thoughts. I smiled and stood up to give her a hug. "What are you doing here? I feel like I haven't seen you in years." Her smile brightened up the room.

"I'm just here eating lunch with my sister and Eddie. How have you been?" I continued the conversation. I could feel the stares from across the room bore into the back of my head. 

"I've been good, thank you." Chrissy giggled. "We just got done with a little Thanksgiving Break practice, so we stopped here to eat. You know, we do still need another cheerleader." Chrissy nudged my arm, hinting that I should join their cheer squad. 

"Yeah, I don't know about that." I laughed. 

"What? Why not?" Chrissy pouted.

"I never really say myself as the cheerleading type." 

"What about you?" Chrissy turned to look down at Juliet. 

"Um, I-" Juliet started to stutter over her words.

"Please!" Chrissy bent down and rested her head on her hands as she pouted her bottom lip out to Juliet. 

"I mean." Juliet looked up at me, seeming to ask for permission. I nodded and she smiled back at Chrissy. "Yeah, I'll do it." 

"Yay!" Chrissy pulled Juliet up from her seat, jumping up and down, before dragging her over to the group in the corner of the diner. 

"Juliet a cheerleader?" Eddie questioned as we looked over at Chrissy introducing Juliet. "I'm not too sure about that." 

"Me either, but she'll have Lucas." I tried to convince myself with that. I had nothing against Lucas, but I knew he wouldn't be around the cheerleaders all of the time. At that same time, I looked over at him and gave him a small smile. Lucas mirrored my actions before tearing his eyes away and paying attention to his group again.