Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner

~ movie from '87 referenced, but let's pretend it was released in '85 ;) ~

"Goddamn it." I cursed as I dropped my keys on the ground. I had just gotten home from work and I felt like a complete mess. I was totally and utterly exhausted from the parties, meeting people, and having to take all the Christmas decorations down. It was the hardest thing to say goodbye to it all, but I felt like I didn't have to worry as much. 

During the past few days, I had been seeing Eddie's family as much as I could before they left to go back home. It was great getting to know them and they made me feel as comfortable as possible. Aunt Tiffany barely talked to me and only stared from a distance, acting as if she took her eyes off of me then I would attack. I tried to constantly remind myself of Eddie's gentle words about her being like that towards everyone, but I couldn't help it. She really did bother me. 

Yesterday, I got to sit down and have dinner with the Byers then the day after that, I had dinner with the Wheelers since Karen kept begging for us to stop by. When the conversation of the proposal popped up, Karen seemed shocked, but happy while Ted gave me a whole lecture about marrying at my age, which Karen profusely apologized for. I didn't mind much, since it reminded me of what it would be like to have a dad around. That empty 'father figure' spot was easily replaced by Ted and his stern talks along with Wayne and his loving ways. Although I still loved my mother, she was mostly replaced by Karen and Joyce. It wasn't long, either, until Hopper slid in to be a father figure as well while Murray was the 'fun uncle.' They are all so amazing, taking Juliet and I in without a single thought. I felt like we were all one big family and I could feel something inside of me start to heal because of them. 

"Honey, honey, how you thrill me." I sang ABBA underneath my breath as I grabbed the mail from the mailbox. I didn't even check to go through it, knowing it was just going to be a bunch of bills, so I tucked it underneath my arm. "Honey, honey, nearly kill me." I smiled as I walked up to the front door. I couldn't wait to go inside and have my one woman show. 

"Excuse me, miss?" I jumped and screamed, dropping all of the mail in the process as I turned around and found a man dressed in all black with a mustache. 

"Can I help you?" I asked cautiously as I watched his every move. I have never seen this man in my life and he was standing right in front of me at my house. My heart began to race from the nerves I felt as he reached into his pocket. I instantly moved my car key to position between my fingers to act as a shank in case this went sideways. 

"Are you (Y/N) (Y/L/N)?" He asked. I watched as his breath turned into a cloud from how cold it was outside and it slightly distracted me before I turned my attention back to what he wanted. 

"Who's asking?" I raised an eyebrow at him as he kept his serious, straight face. 

"I'm guessing that's a yes." He didn't wait for my answer before pulling out an envelope and handing it to me. I stared down at it in my hands and felt my stomach drop. "You have two days to vacate the premises and take your belongings. If you aren't out before then, then we will come in and have to escort you out." 

"What?" I asked in shock. I knew this day was going to come, but I didn't think it would be so soon. At least they waited until after Christmas, right?

"You have-"

"Yes, I get that, but why am I getting this now? I can't find a place to stay in two days." I nearly screamed as I stood there in complete shock. My mind immediately went to Juliet as worry began to settle in. 

"It's just what the court wants." He shrugged. "You're a legal adult, so the government isn't required to help you."  

"But that's not fair."