The Weight of Dreams

Eddie's POV

"Hey, thanks for picking me up." Juliet climbed into the van before shutting the door. "Did you guys have fun?" 

"Yeah." I tried to sound as convincing as I could, but obviously, Juliet could see right through me. 

"What happened?" She turned to me with a concerned look as I sighed and kept my eyes on the road. Obviously, I wasn't going to tell her about what happened since, well, that wasn't something I wanted to share with her. I didn't feel very comfortable telling Juliet that I found her sister making out with Nancy. 

"Nothing really." I shrugged.

"Did (Y/N) take her shirt off again?" Juliet laughed, making me shake my head and chuckle. 

"Yeah, I guess you could say that." I glanced over at her with a smile before turning my attention back onto the icy roads.

As the soft Christmas music played in the background, my mind started to wonder. It was like one half of me wanted to be mad at (Y/N) while the other didn't mind what happened between the two of them. It was stupid, childish fun, but, of course, it stung a little bit. I didn't want to see her making out with someone else. 

"Eddie, I know something is bothering you." Juliet distracted me.

"What? I'm totally fine." I smiled over at her. Glancing over, I could see Juliet's face full of attitude as she gave me that 'do you really think I'm that stupid?' look. 

"You either tell me now or you're not getting your gifts from me in the morning." Juliet crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow at me. Just from those actions alone, I could see the resemblance between her and (Y/N). I love the fact that they share the same stubbornness and determination. They looked almost exactly alike when they acted this way, too, which made it funnier. 

"Oh, you're going to play that game with me?" I chuckled as she nodded. "Well, I guess I'll have to play fair and hold your gifts, too." 

"That's fine." Juliet turned her body towards the passenger seat window as she kept her arms crossed. I knew she wasn't really mad and only being playful, but I did feel slightly bad. 

"Milkshakes or hot chocolate?" I asked into the silence between us. 

"What?" Juliet looked over at me in confusion, so I repeated my question. "Um, I'm not sure." 

"Yeah, it is a pretty hard question. We could just get both." I shrugged as I peaked over at her. Juliet was smiling wide and becoming excited at the idea. 

"Who's going to be open this late on Christmas Eve?" Juliet asked. 

"I may know a place." I smirked as I made my way to Harlow's Diner.

Once we got there, I went to open Juliet's door, but she beat me to it. She knew I was going to try and do that for her, but she always tells me that she's 'an independent woman who doesn't need a man to do things for her.' I adored her for that and it helped settle my nerves that she felt that way. Of course, I didn't think that Dustin would break her heart, but you could never be too careful. I've already warned him, anyways, that if he hurt Juliet then I could hunt him down and hide his body where no one would think to look. You break her heart, I break you.

"So, are you going to tell me?" Juliet asked me as we waited for our milkshakes and hot chocolate. I sat back in the booth and raised an eyebrow, in which she returned. She wasn't going to let it go, so I might as well tell her. I don't blame her, though. I would be the same way if I saw something was bothering her. 

"I guess." I breathed out while rolling my eyes, making Juliet laugh. "I don't know. I've been having a lot of nightmares lately, but I'm fine." I lied again.