Route 5~ Velvet

I spent all day trying on outfits and fixing my hair in the mirror. After all, this date was one I proposed. I didn't want to look sloppy, especially in front of Vel.

Once I had finally settled on a glamorous look that highlighted all of my good features, I patiently waited outside Velvet's door, listening to her melodic humming. I hadn't seen her since this morning, so I was excited to finally see her sweet grin.

I jumped as her door swung open. "Ta-da!" Vel chirped, twirling in front of me with a practiced flourish.

She wore a poofy pink sweetheart dress with small black pinstripes running from the bodice to the hemline. A deep magenta ribbon ran around her waist and formed a bow at the back. Finally, she wore black fishnets with diamonds embedded in them with simple black flats. Her hair was done up in two enormous space buns and tied with two black lace ribbons.

I only stared at her in amazement. She looked like the adorable Velvet I knew, but she also looked ready to take on the strongest demon in Hell. She blew a kiss at me and said, "You look pretty hot y/n. That outfit almost blows mine away, but I think tonight, we're the best looking pair in the whole studio."

I blushed and replied with a smile, "You look a-ok yourself, Velvet. And by that, I mean that you look stunning. Beautiful, er... gorgeous?" She giggled at how nervous I was and teased, "I see you prepared well for our date, y/n." That just made me blush even harder. "Anyhoo, this morning I told you I know the perfect place for a date. And Val already called a limo so no need for walking!"

She fidgeted with her fingers as we simply locked eyes. I broke the silence by saying, "Well then, Velvet, we should head out, right?" Velvet squealed and shouted, "YES! THIS IS GONNA BE FANTASTIC!!" She bounced up and down with exaggerated excitement which only made me giggle.

Then, as we clamored into the back of Val's limo, Velvet leaned over to me and whispered with a mischievous smirk, "Just to let you know, I hope you didn't think that this was gonna be a dinner date. And I seriously hope you're not afraid of heights."

I tilted my head, a pit growing in my stomach. I had assumed all along that it was a dinner date, which was why I dressed up so nicely. And Velvet was dressed up too. What were we actually doing?

Velvet only sat next to me and hummed, a cheeky grin on her face. She looked excited to go wherever we were headed, and it appeared that she reveled in the anxiety taking over my thoughts. Eventually, the limo slowed to a permanent stop. Velvet squeezed my hand and whispered, "Here we are, y/n. Out the door you go!"

Against my wishes, I hopped out of the limo with Velvet clinging to me. We were standing in front of a large, onyx-speckled building. There was a long 'runway' of sorts with a couple of bright pink and white planes nearby. As I looked at the building some more, I realized where we were. The sign read, Hell's #2 Skydiving Arena! 

Velvet elbowed me and cackled, "Teehee! I only dressed this way to make you believe we were out on the town! But GET READY y/n! We're gonna go up and SOAR DOWN! Just like how we arrived in Hell!" I was stunned. I didn't quite know what to say as the limo sped away. She tricked me, and now we were going skydiving.

I turned to her and laughed. "Wow, you couldn't have gone with something a little less daring?" I asked with a nervous giggle. Velvet twirled a loose strand of hair around her nail and said with mock confusion, "What are you talking about, y/n? If you can't take it on, then I guess we're not right for each other~"

I gave her a grin before power walking into the building. Velvet squeaked and rushed to catch up, yelling, "Hey! Y/n, wait for moi!" But I held the door open for her as she finally caught up.

"After you, unless you can't take it on," I teased, raising a brow at her. Velvet pouted and tripped me on the way in. "Just wait and see." 

We checked in with the receptionist while nervous thoughts zipped around inside of my head. I wasn't really scared, after all, I had fallen from the sky before when I arrived in Hell. But, an exhilarating feeling was subconsciously coursing through my veins. As long as I was with Velvet, I knew things would be more than okay.

A demon with long horns covering his head gave us the basic rundown of how things were going to work. His monotone voice droned on and on, and although I trusted Velvet when going skydiving, this demon seemed to care less if we lived or died. Although, after a hand squeeze and a warm smile from Velvet, I was already better.

A nylon 'harness' of sorts was placed on both of us. Since we were tandem skydiving, we would be going alone, thankfully. Luckily, the demons that were 'tandeming' with us weren't bored or as monotone as the demon before. Mine was a tall, thin demon with long, glowing white hair and blinding green eyes. Velvet's was also a tall demon with a whip-thin tail and long, upright ears. Thankfully, they filled in the gaps that the demon before us had left out.

After everything was cleared and Velvet and I were ready, they had us board a small plane. We were officially going skydiving. I was fearful, but after seeing Velvet's toothy grin, I returned the smile and felt at ease. I didn't know why Velvet made me feel this way, but I couldn't help it.

And with that goofy smile exchange, the plane started and lifted up into the crimson sky. Velvet yelled over the loud noise of the half-broken plane, "Let's see who screams more!" She giggled. Her tandem partner looked pretty annoyed, although they really couldn't say anything since Velvet was an overlord.

The plane just kept going up. At some point, I thought we might fly to Heaven or die of asphyxiation from lack of air.

Eventually, the plane stopped rising, and a solo skydiver opened up the small door hatch in the plane. An enormous gust of wind rushed inside the plane and only increased the amount of noise I was hearing. Velvet cackled and her eyes were fixated on the view of the tiny city below. Velvet's tandem skydiver tried to yell over her laughing, "Shut the fuck up! And remember, no-" But, before she could finish, Velvet through themselves out of the plane, giving me peace signs as the two demons began to freefall.

My stomach lurched as my tandem partner positioned us outside of the plane- hanging onto the door. The wind rushed through my hair as my partner patted me on the shoulder and jumped into the sky.