Route 9~ Valentino

Eventually, the limo slowed to a stop and the driver opened the doors. He bowed his head as we crawled out, Valentino standing at his full height. Even though we had shared many intimate moments together, his height was still daunting to me. He could easily kill me if he wanted. Be he loved me. Or at least, was trying to work out his complicated feelings.

I trailed behind Val as we entered a restaurant adorned with crystal chandeliers, stained glass windows, dimmed lights, and slow, soft music playing in the background. My jaw practically dropped. Only a few demons were at the tables scattered around the tables, and their eyes all fell on us as we stepped through the doorway. 

Val's face curled into a snarl as he hissed, "We're not here to be stared at." They all quickly snapped their heads back to their meals and ignored us. I stood on my tiptoes and whispered to Val, "Hey, where are we, Val?" Val put a clawed hand on my head, ruffling my hair. Oddly, I felt my face heating up with a faint blush.

"We're at my favorite restaurant in the city, darling," he purred, my stomach fluttering at his words. He placed a hand on my back as a server bowed their head to us, grabbing two menus, and walking off. We followed them into a private booth- the lights dim and inviting.

We sidled close together, Val stretching his long legs out. I blushed as I felt his eyes on mine. He chuckled, almost as if this powerful overlord was embarrassed. 

"Uh, I hope you don't think differently of me since I yelled at the patrons," he said in a low voice. If I had a drink in my mouth, I would've spit it out in laughter. Big, bad, VALENTINO was apologizing about yelling. TO ME. I felt honored and slightly worried. Was he feeling ok?

"Baby, we're in Hell," I said. I immediately covered my mouth at the pet name. Now it was Val's turn to laugh as he said, "True, we are in Hell. We're all here for a reason. But..." He looked around to make sure no one would approach the booth anytime soon. "I can't help but try to be better around you. I don't want to be a sleaze with you in my life... I don't want to disappoint you..."

My heart melted for this demon overlord. He was trying to be better. For me... I didn't know what emotions were swirling around in my heart, but I felt like they were going to forever change me.

Just as I was about to say something, a server came around the corner and bowed his head to us. His voice was low and smooth as he calmly said, "Lord Valentino. Welcome back. Your usual?" Valentino nodded and then turned to me and asked, "What does my little butterfly want?"

I flushed with embarrassment and chuckled. "I'll have what you're having," I said, leaning into him. I felt his heartbeat speed up and it made me smile knowing that I made him feel like this. 

The server bowed his head again and locked eyes with me. And lingered for a second too long. Those eyes... where did I see them before? Something about them was chilling and haunting, yet oddly familiar. Then turned on their heel and walked away before I could identify who it was.

I must've been staring into space because Valentino turned my chin towards him and asked, "Are you okay, baby? You look like a ghost." I shrugged and said with a forced smile, "Just lost in thought." Before he could get another word in, I held up the menu and asked, "So what do you usually get?"

"A luxurious wine from when I was alive. It's strong and flavorful. I'm sure you'll love it," he purred, wrapping an arm around me. How was it possible that my face was still heating up?

"Well... Well, what about food?" I asked, swallowing, my throat suddenly dry as I peered into his bright eyes. Valentino glanced at the menu and replied, "I'm usually too drunk to order food. But everything on the menu is delicious, I can assure you." He saw the curious look on my face and chuckled. "Nothing's too expensive for me, darling. Get whatever you want." I peered at this list of food items. Snail caviar, red prawn, pasta, and white truffles stared back at me, the prices seeming to go up every time I looked away.

Our server returned with a bottle of unlabeled wine. He popped the cork and skillfully poured two glasses, setting them in front of us. The red wine bubbled in our glasses and smelled sweet and fruity. I locked eyes with the server again as he whipped out a notepad, ready to take orders. He stared at me and asked, "What would you like?" It was on the tip of my tongue. I KNEW who he was. But I didn't. Who was he? Where had I seen him? Was he someone I knew when I was alive?

"We'll take one of everything," Val said for me, clearly noticing my frightened pause. He then shooed the server away and wrapped his arms around me. And then it hit me.

Rini.

Cora's 'understudy'. 

What was he doing here?

"Baby~ Did I do something wrong?" Valentino asked, giving me puppy eyes. His leg tapped against the floor and I realized that he was anxious. Anxious that he had done something to upset him. His embrace was gentle and loving, and I almost felt bad that I had been focusing on RIni.

But he needed to know. So I assured Val he hadn't done anything wrong and told him everything I knew about Rini. As the story continued, his face darkened until it gave me the chills.

"Why haven't you told me this, love?" he asked, genuinely worried. I shook my head. "I don't know... I really don't. And I wouldn't drink the wine." He raised a brow at me before nodding and agreeing, "I don't know what Rini is doing here, but I don't want anything he's giving me. Or YOU." He planted a kiss on my head, gentle and caring. But from his body language, he was angry. And ready to raise hell. Literally.