Route 13~ Velvette

I snapped out of my trance to the sound of Velvette crunching on a lollipop. I looked over at her in bed and saw she was scrolling on her phone with the sucker in her mouth, clearly distracted. But to be fair, so was I. I was trying to figure out how to make her life better, besides just being in it. 

"Something on your mind, babe?" Vel asked, adjusting the covers so I saw a quick flash of her cleavage. I turned on my side to face her and said with a smile, "Just thinking of you." Vel batted her lashes and crunched on the sucker again. She turned off her phone and tossed it on the plush rug next to the bed.

"I'm thinking of stalling my livestreams," she said, chewing on the stick of the lollipop. "How come?" I asked. She sighed and flicked the stick onto the floor. She turned to me and grumbled, "The whole idea was Vox's thing and I only stayed for the followers. To be honest, it's too time consuming, especially now that I have you." She traced a finger down my chest before letting out a giggle.

And then it hit me. Velvette was used to taking orders from Vox and Val. It didn't sound like she enjoyed it. I could help her with that.

"Do you enjoy being with Vox and Val?" I asked abruptly. Velvette adjusted her curls and said, "Of course! I mean, why wouldn't I? I haven't known anyone else... since I came here..." Her voice slowly faded out and her eyes grew distant. But then she snapped back to reality and grinned, "Without them, I'd be a nobody!" She slid out of bed, her curves showing beneath her nightgown. 

"But do you wish-" I started. 

"That I could take a break from them?" she finished. "Of course. They have this ridiculous on and off relationship that drives me CRAZY. The petty arguments are like nails on a chalkboard." She walked over to her wardrobe and pulled out a tight, glittery blue dress. "I'm in charge of cleaning their mess and making our image presentable. And NO ONE recognizes it." She gripped the hanger from the dress so hard it snapped in half.

"Seriously?" I asked. "You don't get recognized?" Velvette scoffed and slid off the nightgown, her curly hair covering most of her back. I flushed as she said, "I do. For being a stuck-up brat with a pretty face. And Vox and Val don't fucking help with that." She slipped the dress on and turned to face me.

"How do I look?" she asked. She twirled around and I said, "Amazing as ever." Velvette smiled and slipped on a pair of knee-high boots. "Would your life be better without them?" I asked, rolling out of bed myself.

"Yes and no," Velvette said, sitting at her vanity to put her hair up. "They're the closest things to friends in this hellhole. But they're also the biggest pain in my ass. Being free of them would be heaven. Ironic." She pinned her hair up in two voluminous pigtails and started to dab on blush.

I slipped on some clothes myself, watching as Velvette applied lip gloss. If Velvette was free of Vox and Val, her life would be better. I could make her life better! I wouldn't kill them of course. Maybe just a vacation is exactly what she needed.

Velvette stood and grabbed her fur coat, throwing it on and giggling, "I'm ready! Once you're ready we can go out and do some fun shit!"

"Such as?" I asked, brushing a lock of hair from her eyes. Velvette shrugged and simply said, "I don't know. I just wanna get out of the studio. I do NOT want Vox or Val coming and ordering me around. No one fucking respects me around here." 

I opened the door for her and she gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. "You need a long vacation," I said with a chuckle. Velvette rubbed her temples and groaned, "Believe me, Y/N, I know." The door shut behind us. "Why don't you take one?" I asked. She seemed so unhappy here.

Velvette's smile faded ever so slightly.

She pulled me aside and quietly whispered, "If only it were that simple. Listen, I don't really talk about it, but I signed a contract when I first came here."

I blinked at her. A contract? But she was an overlord.

"Who did you sign the contract with?" I asked tentatively. Velvette sighed and whispered, "I signed a contract with Val and Vox to boost popularity and relevance via any means. Taking over TV stations for them, creating social media accounts, killing competitors, you name it. In return, they became my powerful overlord friends. Without you, they're practically the only people I hang out with." She crossed her arms. "But I wish I was an overlord with my own means. I don't want to keep dealing with their crap only to never get respect or recognition."

I put a hand on her shoulder and she smiled up at me. "I made my bed, and I have to lay in it," she said with a forced laugh. "What if we talk to them? Together?" I said, wanting more than anything for her to be happy. She raised a brow and asked, "Talk to them? That's like talking to a brick wall. How exactly do you plan on talking to them?"

I cupped her cheeks with my hands and said, "Trust me, I can set you free."