10.

Song: My mistakes - Matthew Nolan

........................................

Nate

Kyle and I had been working on the flat since the early morning. We'd gone over the rooms and start to run out of paint when we were midways through the loft main room. Now the sun was beginning to set and I was tired and a total mess. I got some paint stains in my clothes, but at least I'd thought about that and put on some old tracksuit I'd rescued from the very bottom of my wardrobe back in New York.

So far I had most of my things in Kimmy's place with Spoty as well and some bigger stuff like the TV and the couch were in a rented storage that was fleecing me for the week I would be needing it. The flat now looked weird. Oddly empty, spacious with large pieces of plastic over the woodblock ground and the marble counter separating the open kitchen from here. Once the walls were done, I would only need to buy the last remaining furniture and I would finally feel at home.

I hope.

"Dude." Kyle nudged me letting his paintbrush on the can beside my feet and snapping me out my concentrated daze.

"What?" I wondered lowly and he frowned at me, putting his hands on his hips and not caring that the paint in his palms was trespassing to his shirt.

"Aren't you gonna do anything?" he whispered back pointing with his head to where Hailey was standing by the window, taking care of the furthest place, focused solely on her task at hand and nodding her head lightly at the music coming from Kyle's phone.

My stomach tightened, pulling my gaze away from her before she could notice we were talking about her.

"What do you want me to do?" I gritted out through clenched teeth. "She's here because all her other plans failed. And because Kimmy asked her to be nice to me." if it wasn't for the fortunate run-in in the parking lot earlier that afternoon, I wasn't even sure she would have talked to me at all after our last fight. "It's clear she doesn't want to be here."

"But she is." he insisted as if not seeing my point. "And she was nice enough."

"To you." I hadn't failed to notice their easy talking whenever they cross paths. It shouldn't, but it messed me that she was so cold towards me and all cool with Kyle. I mean, I get it, but it stung the same.

"Have you apologized?"

I sighed, forcing my tense muscles to uncench. "I did. And it did little to nothing."