28.

Song: Fire on fire- Sam Smith

........................................

Hailey

Going back to work the next Monday was painful. I had an amazing couple of days, away from everything and everyone -for the most part- and now sitting in the office desk and scrolling for news and ideas as Stella corrected the last strings of our article was like dragging my mood through the mud.

If anything, the redheaded was different. Like all the barriers were finally down. And even with the serious work-mode on, she was more carefree and open. We made the coffee pauses together and it felt nice and easy to be around her. Something months ago I would have never thought possible.

Leroy was more than content with our column and proof of it was the smile he sent us when he called for updated on the article and research. I had a full list by the end of the day for possible ideas and when we had the usual meeting Stella summoned the corrected draft and I purposed all the options.

It was a great start of the week. Disappointing after the past couple days, but certainly a good beginning. Setting up a great base.

Ted called when I was picking up my stuff, making it all the better. I could never anticipate when he would call, but today he was a bit in a rush and we barely spoke five minutes as I save up everything and the through the elevator's way down. My brother was safe and good, and that had to be enough. He told me to tell Shane he was sorry again and once more I was spiked in curiosity about what could have gone down between the twins that would leds them to months of no-speaking.

I promised him I would and he hung up as I was exiting the building. But of course, not everything could go as smooth as I wanted it to be and I was half surprised, half annoyed when I spotted a familiar car a bit down the street. Nate was leaning against it's side typing away on his phone without a care in this world.

I burned with shame and anger as I remembered the humiliating way he ended our talk this weekend. No feelings involved, checked. But couldn't we turn to one another for the physical part like we originally planned? Apparantly only when he felt it convenient.

It was bad enough I was aching for more than just his turn down. I had wanted to hear his voice, to talk to him, and in return he tried to pry on answers I wasn't ready to give and hung up when I had made my intentions pretty clear.

I had never been so blunt about it before and now I felt rejected and humiliated. And I hated it. And him for making me feel so eased to let him do this to me over and over again.

And now he was here?

Seeing no other way around, I took in a deep calming breath, trying to steady the loud beats of my heart at his unexpected presence, and begrudgingly lowered the steps of the front of the building.