9.

Song: Romeo dies - Ari Hicks

........................................

Hailey

I was a nervous wreck as I picked my stuff once the working hours reached their end and I felt the weight of this new date approaching. In a few moments I was meeting my second person from that app. The expectations now were lower than the first time, but nerves didn't seem to care about that.

Cameron, twenty six. I'd scrolled thoughtfully through his profile, his likes, what he wanted from this... but it said he was looking for friendship or whatever it leads to. That sounded more solid than 'night pleasures and 0 complications'.

I had fixed myself a little better than I would on a normal day, but since we'd accorded this to be casual I settled for my fitted jeans, soft green blouse and sandals. A little bold considering we were just entering spring, but today was hot enough to wear it just fine. It was cute, kinda preppy too, yet formal enough to bring at work too. But whether it was flattering, it wasn't openly inviting, so even if it was another Andrew, I wouldn't be giving off that vibe.

Stella's eyes scanned me up and down as she also stood. "You look awfully nice."

Why couldn't she even give me one good compliment? Would it actually hurt her to be nice for once? But I smiled, flattening the blouse and making sure there wasn't a single wrinkle. "Thanks. I kinda have a date."

Why did I even tell her that?

"Really?" her brows rose as she scanned me again under a new light and I felt all the more vulnerable.

Why was it so weird that I had one?

Our other's coworkers were too getting ready to leave, each minding their own business.

"Well, you do look nice, but maybe a bit too formal then." she said and I looked down. Too formal? Well, I was at work, but this was also casual. Stella rolled her eyes and took my hand. "Come on."

I was so astonished I failed to even fight her and she pulled us to the girl restroom in this story and we stood before the mirror. I stared at myself and turned to look at her.

"I look fine."

"Boring." she scoffed, not knowing she was rubbing a sore topic with that word and searched in her purse for her small makeup kit. "I would do something about the lips and the hair."

"What?" I turned to analyze myself in the mirror once more. My lips were nude, but I had my eyes done. And the hair? It was half up with a couple hairpins. "What is wrong with my hair? Too boring?"

"Too plain. Come on let it down."

I eyed her carefully. This was Stella. But she was also always so beautifully spotless and perfect for each occasion. Hesitantly, I took out the pins and my hair fall in my soft natural waves. More wild. I did look more alluringly datable now.