36.

Song: Whatcha Say - Jason Derulo

........................................

Hailey

"It doesn't fit." frowned Kimmy over the phone screen as I struggled with the zipper of the dress.

"It has to." I stressed but she was shaking her head.

"Well, babe, it doesn't."

"Is this gonna take much longer?" sighed Shane from outside the dressing booth, bored out of his mind and I huffed. Anxiety building in my stomach. If a stupid fitting was already proving to be a nightmare, what else was there to expect from this wedding? My brother cleared his throat. "Want me to go get the vaselin-"

"Shut up." I stressed, pulling open the red velvet curtains of the changing booth and found him smirking, sprawled however on the couch before the mirror. "Shut up and do something useful."

"Like?" his eyes briefly wandered to the bench where I'd left the phone so Kimmy could see me and nodded her way. "Hey."

She waved back dismissively but I was too stressed to let them get on one of their stupid banters, so I cut in. "Come here and zip it up."

"Ew, no. I don't want to touch you." but he stood as Kimmy snorted a laugh.

"Stop being such a baby."I rolled my eyes and spun giving him my back and lifting my hair off the way. "Just zip it up and be done with it."

"I hate when you get all bossy." he mumbled but I heard shuffling a moment later he was pulling at the zip. But once more, it only went up so far. "It doesn't fit."

"Well, it has to." I tugged at both hems of the cloth so it pressed tightly across my front and hoped it would help the zip, but Shane tugged again and it only moved a couple inches. 

I felt like crying. 

He groaned, getting a better hold of it. "Hold your breath."

"Hold your breath, hold your breath." mocked Kimmy and the cute baby noises of West came half muffled from the phone. She bent to pick him up, disappearing for a moment before appearing again with the toddler in her arms. "Better let out all your breath. Makes your torso tinnier. But well, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit."

"Shut. up." I sucked my stomach and he pulled again, achieving a few more inches and then the last ones. I breathed again, immediately filling the tight constriction of the dress' corset.

"There!" cheered Shane stepping away 

I spun and turned before the mirror, watching how the stupid, pompous dress hugged to my chest and waist a bit too tight, barely allowing me to breathe at all. It's skirt was made of layers and layers of muslin covering me from the hips to my ankles in an endless waterfall of fabric.