17. Part Two

Song: Shivers - Ed Sheeran

........................................

Hailey

I was debating about all this, wondering if I shall go and demand an explanation out of Nate or let this feeling sink and control me into cowering; but Stella took my hand. "Well, this was a lovely night, but it's kinda late and I have things tomorrow. Hailey, walk me out." and waved faintly at Grayson. "See you around."

"For rematch." he confirmed with that smile of his, even if his eyes travelled towards Nate as well, who was now in the bar pretending we weren't even there. Or at least making sure he kept his attention away from us -from me.

Because some stupid flirting? Something he pushed me into doing?

Because he thought it was an inner joke, but what sense did that make?

Frustrated and uneasy inside, I allowed Stella to pull us and walked her out to wait for a cab. I pursed my lips as the cold air of outside gave me some clarity. "Is it really that late?"

"You tell me." she spun her phone so I could see we were already past midnight and I bit my lip. It was curious how fast time can move and how suddenly the fun can be spoilt.

"Maybe I should come with too." I muttered, not really in the mood to stand Nate's mood and be stuck with him and Grayson on my own now. Not if he was going to be like that. If my back up was bailing maybe I should take the hint as well.

But Stella gave me that smile, the almost ironic smile that told me there was something I wasn't seeing. "Where's your purse?"

I cursed, my hand moving to my side where it should hang, but immediately remembered I'd left it with my jacket and the other's stuff in out table back in. She waved and a cab pulled out before us. "I'll go get it all really fast, you wait."

"Hailey." she cut me, frowning as if debating whether to tell me something or not. "I think you shouldn't go yet."

"What?"

"Not like this."

"Like what?"

"Mad with Nate?"

I gaped. "You're taking his side? You're supposed to be my back-up!"

"I'm not taking anyone's side. I'm just saying... considering you're you, you won't feel that comfortable parting with unfinished business."

As if she knew me that much. But as the sarcastic thought occurred to me, I realized that she did indeed. As upset as I was at the recent fight or whatever that was, I would be tossing and turning if I part ways like that.