31.

Song: Here we go again - Demi Lovato

........................................

Hailey

Three weeks.

The wedding was right around the corner and I was still dateless.

They had kindly reminded us through the family group that we were to attend at least a couple dance lessons before the day. Why? Meredith won't want anyone but her in the spotlight. Us aimlessly filling her background wasn't enough?

Well, no. Apparently not. Not when you were a bridesmaid.

The invitation had been glaring at me from it's spot on my desk. Not for the first time I balanced the option of tearing it down to little pieces so I could no longer read their stupid names together. Meredith and Marco. How stupid.

I had to exit the room not to give into those instincts.

The closer the event came the more uneased I was and the more I think back to my meeting with Marco not too long ago. They didn't want me to go. That should spike me enough to want to go and be the physical prove of their discomfort. I mean, if I was bothering them enough for Marco to go out his way to convince me not to, they must at least feel something towards me. Even if it was just resentment. I could exploit that.

But just thinking about seeing my family and them, in my grandparent's house, on a June wedding...

I pushed the laptop away and covered myself with the couch blanket I had over my legs.

This was ridiculous. This anxiety. I had done nothing wrong.

The phone over the coffee table before me lighted up with another incoming text in that same family group. Someone sending them hearts and congratulations over the reminder of their upcoming bonding and my stomach twisted.

There was no way I was concentrating on research for next article when my mind was this overwhelmed by everything else.

Just as I contemplated calling Kimmy or Eli to come take my mind off before I completely lose it, the doorbell rang and I clenched the hold on the blanket around me. I didn't want to face reality. Even moving would be like acknowledging the world was spinning and moving on and I was a second closer to face utter humiliation. But what else could I do?

The doorbell rang again and this time there were knocks as well. "Hailey, come on." my heart pinched at Nate's muffled voice through the space and the wooden door. "I know you're there."

Of course I was here. Working, supposedly. Because on top of everything, I had canceled my date tonight with Cal, a sweet guy from the dating app. But what was even the point? I just... If Elon -being so perfect for me- had been a date I couldn't enjoy... what's the point of losing both mine and Cal's time?