30.

Song: Must've never met you - Luke Combs

........................................

Nate

It's still not too late to back down.

That's what I'd been telling myself for the past hour. Since I made the decision to come here all along. I was once more standing before Hailey's flat door. It was insultingly easy how one could get pass the front door without much of a sweat -I would worry for her if she wasn't in a decent, safe part of Providence. And now I was having second thoughts.

Was this really the best option?

What if I only made it harder? What if someone else is in there already?

Well, there's only one way to find out.

I rang the door bell and felt my blood ice while waiting. All my doubts magnified on the excruciating second as I hold on for a response. There was a shuffling sound when someone neared the other side.

Shane unlocked the door and opened a bit, rolling his eyes when he saw it was me and with that same displeased expression huffed. "Hailey isn't here."

"I know." I pressed my palm on the wooden surface before he could literally shut me out and his eyes narrowed, clearly unimpressed by my daring move. Well, now for sure there isn't a way to back down. "I'm here to talk to you."

"I'm busy."

Yeah, right. The knot in my stomach increased and I frowned. "Don't you have a minute?"

"For you?"

For me, I bet he didn't have the second it would take him to blink my way, but luckily for me, I was more insistent that he would like.

"I just want to talk."

"Okay."

Frustration laced in my chest and I had to force myself not to sound too snappy. "Can't you give me one minute?"

"Do I have to?" he scoffed out loud, but seemed to notice I wasn't backing down anytime soon and shrugged, letting go of the door and stepping away. "I see no point in that, but whatever." he stepped backwards and gestured around with his arms. "I assumed you've been in Graceland before and know where everything is, but please refrain from touching, looking or polluting anything. Thank you." his sarcastic remark was accentuated by the fakest grin ever.

I stepped inside, gingerly. "Graceland?" I repeated glancing around the living room. "Funny."

"Not really,"  and Shane slammed the door shut. "So what do you want?"

I eyed the paused game on the TV. "You're busy, uh?"

He smirked but it was bitter. Once more I was whiplashed by how much he hated me now. "Just trying to get rid of you. Apparently it didn't work." I had to refrain from glaring back. Instead, I took in one calming breath. I probably deserved that. I just need to find out why specifically. He stepped aside, leaving a free path towards the door. "If that's all..."