24.

Song: you broke me first - Tate McRae

........................................

Hailey

At first I didn't know what it was that awaken me, but my body felt alert, unprepared. Blinking the darkness around, my doozy mind struggled, trying to seize any kind of certainty around. And then I feel it again. The stirring. And I became more aware that my pillow was an arm and the weight on my legs were someone else's intertwined with mine.

Nate. I must have fallen asleep after everything, but I couldn't remember the exact moment I did.

His biceps under my head flex like a tick and I lifted my upper body, holding on my elbow against the mattress to peer down at him, laziness lacing on my every muscle. My eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness so I could make the outline of his body and face.

Was he waking up? My eyes slowly adjusted to the dim light -or rather lack of it- and I took him in.

It was fascinating how I was familiarized with every line, every small flaw and every single reaction. I knew that when he smirked, his eyes wrinkled; and when he smiles it created a cute dimple. I knew the two lines that formed between his brows when he was frustrated or worried or the way his eyes lit whenever he was exited...

And right now, even in the dim room, it was easy to sense the distress written across his handsome features. His eyes closed and his frown pursed as he shifted again.

He wasn't waking up. He was having a nightmare and just the thought squeezed my hearts.

"Hey..." I barely whispered, hesitating on how should I react.

I mean, I didn't want to wake him up, but it wasn't like I could roll to my other side and just ignore it.

I moved my hand to softly graze his cheek with my knuckles.

"Nate- oh." I was cut as he inhaled sharply when I touched him and his eyes snapped open, unfocused. 

"Stop-"

"Hey, it's a dream." I rushed and he blinked, letting me rest him back so his head fell back into the pillow and he breathed heavily through his nose.

"I can't."

"Can't what?" but it was like he didn't hear me.

"Just make it stop." It broke my heart the pained tone in his weak voice.

"It's just a bad dream, Nate." I brushed his cheek once more. His eyes slid close this time. "Go back to sleep."

My thumb brushed his cheekbone and he held my hand in his, keeping it under his face and like this making my heart twitch. I briefly wondered if he would even remember this or if his mind is still in a daze.