17. Part One

Song: No more sad songs - Little Mix ft Machine Gun Kelly

........................................

Hailey

Grayson, Nate's workmate, was... interesting. He was practically a walking freaky dictionary. Like he couldn't talk two sentences without making a movie reference or that pleasant goofy grin of his. He was in a crumbled football shirt, paint lines in his cheeks and his hair a curly mess. He'd been all in joining us in the darts when the match was over and I could tell he was the kind of person you easily can get along with.

Dwight, his other friend, was more of the quiet type. Observing everything and having a thought here and there, but enjoying more to see the unfolding before him. He had short white-blond hair, cut shorter on his sides and back and the top was pointy. He had three earrings in his left ear, a nose ring and dark ink covering his arms and neck. He was wearing plain clothes, unlike Nate and Grayson football-fans-attire, but he had the team's scarf lazily around his neck. Dwight mostly nodded and made sarcastic remarks here and there.

And Stella? I was so amazed by the ginger tonight. She was completely unrecognizable. We'd never shared more than passive-aggressive work talk, but now it looked like she actually had some social curiosity in her. And she'd been nice to me. Like, really. Verging awkward and completely out her comfort zone. But nice. And I liked it.

And then there was Nate. Always Nate. He was chill, and carefree and smiley and it set a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach to watch him with his friends. I couldn't pinpoint the exact reason of this fluttering. Or how strange it was to be hanging out with the other three.

So far, being with Nate had always felt like a trip to the past. I was back to being a preppy senior who didn't know the first thing about life. Now... well, I still didn't know much about life, but since it wasn't only us in this bubble -or at much with Kimmy- the inclusion of Stella, Grayson and Dwight was like a shattering realization that we were moving on. Past and present mixed and making my bottled emotions harder to control.

Fluttering, vexation, excitement, melancholia, anger, relief... it was impossible to settle on one when I was a cocktail of confused feelings I didn't know how to deal with or which one was stronger. I would feel my heart skirting each time his eyes met mind and I wasn't sure how should I act around him anymore. It was easier to focus on his friends and Stella.

But when we were around midnight Dwight groaned and pushed off the wall he was leaning against here in the game room where we'd been playing darts since the match ended. "I better get going." he complained in that neutral tone of his. "Tomorrow I'm meeting my in-laws and I better not cause a bad impression."

It was almost funny how he stated to be worried about something when he spoke with such an apathy. But luckily I bit my lips and held back a giggle. I didn't know him enough to be able to tell if he'll get offended or not.