33.

Song: I'll fight - Daughtry

........................................

Nate

I never thought I would have fly-fright. But to be honest, I never really catch a plane. The most was that one time when the varsity team fly to Texas for a final. But that was half as long and we were all buzzed with the excitement of the win.

This was different.

It'd been already a few hours and we still got half the journey ahead of us. And we were forty-two hundred feet above the ground. I close my eyes tight, focusing on my breathing and slowing the loud beat of my heart.

Was it all worth it?

What if my mother was lying? What if she forgot I was supposed to be coming? What if... What if Harold was there?

"Hey." I turned to look at Hailey as she smiled, she had a half munched peanut little bag in one hand and the laptop opened over her legs. On her other side was Shane, his body turned towards the window and with his earpieces plugged in. I think he'd been sleeping after the first twenty minutes in. Maybe the first twenty seconds. Hailey head tilted. "You're okay?"

I gulped. "Peachy."

"Mhm." she nodded, not buying a word, and after another careful look she offered me one peanut. "Hungry?"

I shook my head. There was no way I was keeping anything down now... well, more like there was no way anything was making it through my tight throat at the moment. "Thanks."

The plane made a little shake and I felt my stomach dancing painfully with it, making my breath hitch. Hours. There were still hours ahead of us. God help me.

"I didn't realize you were afraid of heights."

I scoffed at her words, smiling as if that would make me forget the cold sweat down my spine. "I'm not."

"No?"

I shook my head glancing lazily over the laptop forgotten on her lap. She was writing something, but I couldn't focus on the words there. "No. But the fact that there barely anything between us and a long fall..."

"So you're afraid of flights?"

"Of falling." I corrected, clearing my throat when it came out hoarsely. "Who isn't?"

"I'm not saying-" but she was cut when turbulence shook the plane harsher this time, making me gasp and I clenched my hands around the arm resters -trapping Hailey's against the one between us. A bit too tight and she flinched.

"Sorry." I forced my finger to loosen but she turned her palm upwards and intertwined our hands.

And it was grounding.