13.

Song: When you're gone - Shawn Mendes

........................................

Nate

"And that's pretty much it." I finished, leaning against the column once I was done touring uncle Leo through my now done apartment. He was nodding on the screen and I brushed my neck awkwardly. "This next week I'm going to buy the couple furniture left."

"That's good." he nodded. "I see you're doing well so far."

I shrugged, kinda uncomfortable with the compliments.

"Nate!" A top of a ginger head peeked at the bottom of the screen and Leo smiled, letting my cousin Sophia take the phone from him and instead I saw her pretty baby face as she held it too close. She had big green eyes, like Leo and my mother... like me. "When are you coming back?"

I felt my chest warming at her pleading. I'd last seen her on my birthday last month and we talked at least once a week, but I was surprised how attached I become to the four-year-old. Kids had never been of my liking, or I of theirs, but when I moved in with my uncles right before her birth everything changed. I spend the first months of her life there and when I was in New York I would go back to Pensilvania every time I could.

Was I clinging to them because I was orphan -or whatever- about my real family? Probably. I mean, I wasn't literally an orphan, but my father had been AWOL since I was little and my mother had chosen an abusive son of a bitch before me. So yeah, Uncle Leo, his wife Amelia and Sophia were pretty much all the family I had left.

I smiled at my cousin. "When do you want me to come?"

"Tonight."

Leo laughed somewhere off camera and her eyes moved to the side where he was. "It's too late today, sweetheart. And Nate is working."

"But he's always working." she whined frustratedly and furrowed her brows back at me. "Tomorrow?"

"I can't this week, but how about I come next weekend?" I bargained.

"That's too far." Sophia protested slumping back and the camera shift focussing on her eyes and forehead and the soft texture of the couch cushions where she's laid. "I miss you now."

"I miss you too, Twinkle."

"Then come." I sighed and Leo said something else I couldn't quiet here. "Okay, or we can come to you."

"That would be nice." Now that I finally had an apartment fixed, I guess I could have them over one day.

That would calm my uncles that were worried I was moving on my own to a new city -Amelia had been especially worried. I was surprised she'd been so sweet with me. I barely knew her when I moved with them those years ago, I had only seen her literally a couple times in my life and was a stranger to her; but aunt Meli got involved easily and never tried to overstep my boundaries.