23.

Song: Animals - Maroon 5

........................................

Nate

I parked before my building, feeling both tired and relieved for the day to be over already. The sky thundered over the city as I got out and locked the car. Cold wind swirled around me, creating goosebumps down my spine while I adjusted the jacket. At least it wasn't raining anymore. Not fully. Humidity damped the air and a few rogue drops keep bothering, but other than that...

I stuck my hands deep in my pockets as I crossed the street towards the building, more than ready to hit the couch, turn my mind off and laze around at once. Within work, social life and all, I hadn't had time to just chill this past week.

The pavement was covered in dirty puddles I dodged carefully reaching the lobby. Yet, before I could mindlessly unlock the door and get in the warmer, dry inside; I was halted. There was someone sitting on the window bay of the ground floors. From here I could only see the legs, but I recognized the worn-out sneaker: faded pink with doddles done in black marker.

I got this gut feeling that something wasn't right and when I took a step back from the door to get a better angle I knew I was right.

"Ginny?" I frowned. She was sitting with her ankles crossed and her arms hugging her knees to her chest. She didn't react to my presence. I wondered if she even heard me. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Yeah, right.

I glanced around the almost empty street. The sky was already dim and the lamppost had just turned on, projecting yellowish light down. Another wave of icy wind curled around us making a dirty advertising paper from the ground flew by to the road and I shivered.

Today Ginny wasn't wearing any make-up and her hair was down and loose. She was in a huge hoodie and track pants, and it all only made her look even younger than she was.

The ground floor was a little lower than the street so the windows were low and covered with a rusty grill. With her back against it, the window bay barely allowed her to sit with her feet up before falling a few inched to the actual ground.

And I felt unease swirled in my guts. It was too late and cold to just be here on her own. Also, it didn't look like she was hanging out or waiting to be picked up. She was just... there.

"Have you forgotten your keys?" I wondered but she lightly shook her head, eyes trailed forward, absent. The gut feeling only got worse and I stepped closer, keeping a gentle voice. "Why are you out here? It's late."

"You're not my dad, so fuck off."

Maybe I should.

I've been living here over a month now and I was starting to get used to Ginny and her constant comes and goes. She was always a bit too much, verging being plainly rude, and completely impertinent. But she also had her moments. The girl was nice when wanting to and fun to have around when she was looking for excuses to stay out her place.