16.

Song: What dreams are made of - Brent Morgan

........................................

Hailey

When I get out the cab I was already having second thoughts about everything. The place, the identification, the work to be done... My feet were already aching in the high heels and the notebook and recorder in my YSL handbag felt heavy as ever.

I didn't know why. I mean, I'd done interviews before, in senior year I took and intership that got me out in the wild every now and then. What was so different about it now?

That you're doing it for real.

Stella was already on the front gravel path of the The Chandler at Cliff Walk when I arrived. She was in a fitted two piece and an aesthetic high ponytail, so she looked professional and feminine full on. I had struggled with my outfit for hours. This was a debut party, equal to a high society party, so even if the press wasn't meant to be in a gown, we needed to portray the part.

Having a friend who is a stylish and had access to high brands and haute couture came handy at times like this. I was in a grey pencil dress, meaning work, with a V low cut -to the proper length so it didn't look neither too prude nor too shaggy. I'd straightened my hair and Kimmy's complements made me look elegant and like a business woman.

Stella looked me up and down, thinking the same. "You clean up nice."

"You too." I genuinely answer, but that was like stating the obvious. Stella was always more than 'nice', she was spot on. I groaned, looking at her feet. "I love those shoes."

She followed my gaze down and smiled, showing them off. "Right? They're a limited edition of the Alexander McQueen lastest collection. I had to pull all my strings and half my savings to get them. Now I'm wearing them everywhere."

I laughed. "As you should."

Like that it felt like air was cleared and around us more press keep arriving. Some with cameras, others with mics...

"Are you ready?"

"I hope." I gulped, taking out the folded paper that was the permission Leroy had given us and we approached the table by the back door where they were giving the passes. "I haven't done field work since college."

"Me too... well, I've never really done field work. I mostly just write."

Yeah, no shit.

"Have you done some digging?" I wondered and she nodded slowly.

"I check out the list, like you said."

"The list?"

"The names. I got them memorized with their faces."