forty four

Sage had no idea how she ended up lurking under the cover of shadows in Knockturn Alley, but here she was, dressed in dark robes that made her feel uneasy. Her hair was tied and tangled, mimicking that of the death eaters she had spent long, torturous months around. A tarnished metal mask covered half of her face, deeming her unrecognizable. Ron stood next to her, just as disguised. They looked awful, Sage thought to herself. Hermione was the worst of the group. Her face no longer resembles that of the Sage's first love, but of Bellatrix Lestrange. Her honeysuckle eyes were replaced by a dark, bitter brown. Sage couldn't stomach the sight of her.

"Okay." Harry's determined voice halted her thoughts. "Let's do it."

He bent down, allowing Griphook to grab onto his shoulders tightly. Sage waited for them to get situated as she held the cloak of invisibility in her hands.

"Ready?" She asked Harry quietly. He shared a thoughtful glance with the girl he once loathed and nodded. She breathed deeply and threw the cloak over the pair in front of her. They were gone in seconds, hidden in the background of Knockturn Alley.

As Hermione, Ron, and Sage made their way into Gringotts bank, a stirring feeling of dread swelled in her stomach. She swallowed harshly, feeling eyes on her every move. She bit down on her cheek, a far too familiar taste of iron covered her taste buds. Her chest tinged with anticipation as they made their way to the front desk. Their footsteps echoed throughout the grand hall of the bank. A sour taste filled her mouth and she felt an ache in the back of her throat. SHe could feel Harry's presence next to her as she walked with Hermione and Ron. It eased her nerves ever so slightly.

Hermione cleared her throat as they stopped in front of the tall desk. A graying goblin sat before them, scribbling on paper. "I wish to enter my vault."

Sage winced at the words. Hermione sounded robotic. It would have been a red flag if Sage was in the shoes of the goblin. Her hand brushed the butt of her wand. Her fingers itched with suspense.

"Identification?" The goblin asked, not looking up from his work. Sage watched with bated breath.

"I hardly think that'll be necessary." Hermione pushed, leaning a bit forward to get the attention of the goblin.

"Madam Lestrange." The goblin mused. An alarm went off in Sage's head. They know. She thought to herself. The goblin turned and walked away without another word. Sage's heart beat wildly in her chest.

"I don't like to be kept waiting." Hermione spoke once again. Her voice wavered, and Sage prayed no one caught it.

They know. They know. They know. They kno- Another goblin emerged with the one before. He looked older, grayer. Sage bit her cheek harder. More iron filled her mouth. She could see the goblins that sat at the desks lining them steal glances at the trio. Her muscles tensed at the sound of footsteps inching close to them. She threw a glance over her shoulder to see a guard watching them carefully, his head tilted with expectancy. They know.

"Madam Lestrange." The new goblin spoke, his voice weary. "Would you mind presenting your wand?"

Sage could see Hermione's desire to squirm, but she stood still and crossed her arms across her chest.

"And why should I do that?" She asked, turning her nose into the air.

"It's the bank's policy." The goblin reasoned. "Surely, you understand. Given the current climate."

Sage felt her heart speed up as she watched their surroundings cautiously. She could feel eyes burning into her back as Hermione bit out, "No. I most certainly do not understand."