thirty eight

That night, long after Sage and Harry rejoined the others in the cobweb ridden room and drifted into sleep, a memory crawled from the depths of Sage's tattered mind and played itself as if it were a movie.

The towering rows of the Room of Requirement stood daunting as Sage weaved her way through. She hated this room with her entire being. Alaric's voice floated throughout the room, calling Sage to him. She remembered this night, it was one that she promised herself she would never forget. As she reached him, a cold chill washed over her. It was as if she was seeing a ghost of her past self. The old Sage had a mask of exhaustion with sunken eyes and a sickly pale complexion. Sage felt her stance go rigid as she watched the old Sage sitting with Alaric, whose appearance matched that of his friend.

"You know, i never really understood you friendship with Draco." Alaric spoke softly, his voice leaving traces of exhaustion hanging in the air. Sage shut her eyes tightly at the sound of his voice. She remembered when they sat motionless (emotionless?) in the Room of Requirement with nothing but the damned task on their mind. Sage watched sadly as The old Sage looked at Alaric with confused eyes.

"What do you mean?"

Alaric laughed faintly causing Sage to faintly smile. She missed the sound of his laugh. "It's so strange. You guys are complete opposites, but rely on each other so heavily." He paused and finally looked at the old Sage, studying her with interest.

"We aren't as different as everyone thinks." the old Sage started. She wrapped her arms closer around herself. "It's hard to explain. I've been by his side through everything. I've seen him at his lowest and vice versa. It may be strange to some, but not to us. It just comes naturally."

The old Sage had turned back and faced the cabinet that seemed to be mocking them. Her voice floated through the room, sending chills down Alaric's spine. Sage watched intently as he frowned a bit, turning back to face the cabinet also.

"I wish I had something like that." Alaric spoke after a moment of peace. "It has always been just me, myself, and I. Not that it really bothers me, but sometimes-" Alaric paused and took a shaky breath. He pulled his legs onto the battered seat he sat on and wrapped his arms around himself. "-Sometimes I wish i wasn't so alone."

Sage felt the ginger touch of her tears fall down her rosy cheek. There was a physical ache that made her knees weak and bile rise in her throat. The old Sage had moved her gaze to Alaric and reached out to grab his hand. She intertwined their fingers, her grip tight and comforting.

"You're not alone anymore, Alaric. You have us now and I promise that we will never leave." The atmosphere changed in the room and Sage suddenly felt nothing but cold. It was as if someone had pressed paused, the old Sage sat frozen as she stared at Alaric. But, unlike the old Sage, Alaric moved.

"Ironic, isn't it?" He spoke, a bitter tone filled his words. Sage felt all the air leave her lungs as she watched him stand and face her. His eyes no longer sparkled like they used to. They had a hidden rage behind them, one that burned whoever he cast his gaze on. "You say you will never leave, but the moment things go awry, you were nowhere to be found."

Alaric's voice seemed to be all around her, loud and unforgiving. She wanted to tell him that she was there, that she never wanted to leave, but no words came out. Maybe she knew nothing could make up for her leaving.