nineteen

When Sage and Draco boarded the Hogwarts express, Sage could feel the eyes of the students on her. She held her head high, her eyes narrowed and filled with a coldness that no one could match. Draco walked in front of her, an expressionless mask covering up his true feelings. The students who stood in between the compartments spread like the red sea to allow the two most notorious Slytherins to pass. Sage could hear whispers about her escaping the mouths of her peers. She knew that they could see a change in her. Last year, she was happy and kind, but this year happy wasn't even in her vocabulary.

"Sage!" A familiar voice called out, causing Sage's footsteps to falter. It was Hermione. Sage's heart began to beat faster and her breaths became shorter. Sage muttered a string of curses to herself. Draco had turned around when he had heard the Gryffindor girl call out his best friend's name. Draco raised a brow as if to ask if Sage would be able to handle this or if he needed to step in. Sage gave a subtle nod and turned around to face the approaching girl.

Before Sage could get a word out, Hermione launched herself into the Whitaker girls arms. The smell of Hermione's hair overcame her senses. Sage prayed that Hermione wouldn't be able to hear the sound of her heart pounding against her chest. Sage wrapped her arms tightly around Hermione, a content sigh escaping her pink lips. But, soon reality came back to Sage and she unraveled her arms from Hermione. She reached back and grabbed Hermione's wrists and harshly ripped them away from her body. Sage immediately felt as cold as ice without Hermione's touch. The hurt that flooded into Hermione's chocolate eyes was enough to make a grown man cry. But, Sage held her ground.

"Don't." Sage said with a hint of faux disgust in her voice. "Stay the hell away from me, Granger." Sage spit out, causing Hermione to physically flinch from the sharp tone of Sage's words. With those words hanging in the air, Sage turned around and walked to Draco.

"Are you okay?" Draco asked with saddened eyes. Sage meekly shook her head no, a stray tear escaping her eye. Sage wasn't sure if she would ever be okay again.

+

Sage and Draco sat across Blaise Zambini and Pansy Parkinson in silence. No matter how much conversation Pansy tried to start with Draco or anyone else, the silence thickly hung in the air. It was only broken by the sudden explosion of black smoke that covered every inch of the train cart. Sage coughed and felt around, trying to find Draco's hand. She could hear his frantic questions among the loud chatter of students. The powder like smoke soon cleared out and Sage could finally see her surroundings. Draco was looking around them with wide eyes, searching for some kind of threat. Sage grasped his hand tightly and squeezed it, trying reassure Draco that he was far from danger. Draco turned his head to face Sage and gave her a soft smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Relax, boys. The lights went out is all." Pansy said, paying no attention to the Whitaker girl who rolled her eyes at the nasally Slytherin. "We'll be at Hogwarts before you know it." Pansy said, reaching for Draco's other hand. Before Pansy could touch him, he retracted his hand and placed it on his lap. Sage smirked to herself, her hand still tightly encased in Draco's much bigger hand.

"Hogwarts, what a pathetic excuse for a school. I think i'd pitch myself off the Astronomy Tower if i thought i had to continue on for another two years." Draco had muttered bitterly, his grey eyes focused on his and Sage's hands. His thumb gently brushed the skin of her hand, comforting Sage who stared out of the window.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Pansy asked confused about Draco's ominous words.

"Let's just say i don't think you'll be seeing me wasting my time in Charms class next year."

Blaise snorted amused. Sage turned her head and raised a brow at his actions.

"Amused, Blaise? We'll see who's laughing in the end." Draco said, rolling his eyes.

"Tread lightly, Zambini. I'm not someone you want to piss off." Sage said with a dangerous look in her eye. Blaise nodded stiffly, turning his head so he wouldn't meet Sage's eye. Satisfied with his reaction, Sage leaned back into her seat.

The train ride went on smoothly. Small conversation was shared between the other three students, but it always left an uncomfortable silence. Sage payed no mind to them, her head resting against the cool window. Soon, she let the ever persistent sleep succumb her mind.

Draco looked over to Sage and sighed softly. He felt her hand go limp in his, alerting him that she had fallen asleep. He noticed that Sage looked much more peaceful in sleep than when she was awake. She looked younger, more full of hope. A pang of sadness hit him like a ton of bricks. Draco just wanted what was best for Sage, but he knew that there was no getting out of this. It was far too late for them. The task was assigned and they had to fulfill their duty, or they would die and Draco would be damned before he let that happen.

A/N:

damn all i'm writing is short chapters lololol

draco and sage are brotp fucking fight me

i need some help finding a face claim for the name Avalon Dawes bc i have no idea who i want to play her. i was thinking Freya Mavor (i think thats her name??????) but im not sure.

if you have any ideas let me know in the comments!!!!!!!!!!

until next time

-outlaws