twenty five

A/N:

read the authors note at the end please! enjoy the chapter!

Sage was perched on the edge of an old couch in the room of requirement

Sage was perched on the edge of an old couch in the room of requirement. The room was illuminated by a faint, flickering lantern. Sage studied the ominous cabinet with glossy eyes, her face showing all of the sadness she hid. It wasn't unusual for the Whitaker girl to sit in the room this late at night. Sleep was no longer a luxury that she could afford. Their task was always eating away at her thoughts, constantly reminding her of the fatality they would face if they failed.

    Sage sighed softly and shook her head as if to rid herself of the sadness that hung over her like a cloud. She stood slowly, inching towards the cabinet. The girl rolled up the sleeves of her uniform up. Sage tried her best to avoid looking at the dark mark that permanently tainted her skin. Sage walked closer the the cabinet, her wand in hand. A string of soft whispers left her lips as Sage attempted to repair the cabinet once more. Her hands trembled from the lack of strength. The weak girl felt the strong, dark magic pulsating  from her body, draining her even more. It grew more and more intense as Sage repeatedly muttered the incantation.

    "Harmonia Nectere Passus." Sage let the words spill from her lips as if they were poisonous. The exhausted teen continued on attempting the spell, using what little strength she did have to do so. Sage felt her eyes flutter shut in concentration. The words continued to flow from the girl's chapped lips, faintly echoing through the room.

    It was as if Sage was having an out of body experience. She could see every aspect of her frail body. Sage could see the hues of blue and purple that littered her pale skin. Her face was hauntingly hallowed and the once bright fire that flooded her eyes had faded, leaving them dead and dull in its wake. Sage no longer looked like the girl who had the world in her eyes, she was a empty shell of the person she used to be.

    After what seemed like years, Sage opened her eyes. A warm feeling tickled her upper lip, causing her to become slightly more alert and the words that flowed from her lips to cease. Sage lifted her fingers and lightly pressed them to her lip, trying to find the source of the warmth. Blood fell freely from her nose, droplets falling and staining the ground below. Sage felt as if the walls around her were closing in on her. Frantic gasps of air escaped her trembling body. Black dots began to blur her vision and Sage felt her legs buckle underneath her. Darkness overcame her vision as she fell, the blood that seeped from nose continued to drip on the floor.

    If anyone had walked in at this particular moment, it would have looked like Sage had died. Her sickly pale skin contrasted greatly with the dark ground, the blood that fell from her nose slowly pooled around her head. Sage was weak, weaker than she had ever been. The long late nights she spent wasting away in the Room of Requirement had finally taken it toll on Sage. Her body and mind pleaded for mercy . She had endured enough of this. Sage hoped and prayed that she wouldn't wake from the darkness that had consumed her mind. Sage was only sixteen, but she welcomed death with open arms.