fifteen

When the OWLs were approaching, the students of Hogwarts rushed to prepare for the harshness of the exams. Sage and Hermione sat together in the library cramming for the exams. Sage let her eyes glance up from the parchment in front of her. She bit back a smile when she saw the look of focus on Hermione's face. Hermione's brows were pulled together in concentration. Her tongue stuck out of the corner of her mouth subconsciously. Sage admired the way her hands glided over the paper and the way Hermione's eyes shone with triumph after finishing whatever she was doing. A stray piece of hair fell into Hermione's eyes, and without thinking, Sage reached out and brushed it behind her ear. Hermione's eyes fluttered up to meet Sage's. Sage smiled softly, causing Hermione to blush and quickly go back to her writing. Sage laughed softly and lifted Hermione's chin. She leaned over the table between them and placed a gentle peck on Hermione's blushing cheek. When she leaned back, Sage smiled a sly smile and continued to work. Hermione watched Sage for a small moment, her eyes wide and her cheeks flustered. She laughed to herself and shook her head, bewilderment written on her freckle coated face.

    Finally, the dreaded day approached and the students were forced to sit in the Great Hall. Separated in the Great Hall, Sage listened to the scratching of the quills on parchment and inhaled the smell of the fresh ink. She could hear the echoing clicks of Umbridge's heels as she strolled around the students. Sage tried to focus on the exam in front of her, but the small sounds around her distracted her. It was as if the the scratching was louder, the smell more pungent, and Umbridge's heels were more irritating than before.

    Suddenly, the doors to the Great Hall burst open and a small whizzing of a firecracker caused the students to look up from their exams. Sage tilted her head in confusion and watched as the firecracker flew around the hall, only to be stopped by Umbridge. But, that wasn't all. More and more firecrackers and the Weasleys Wildfire Whiz-Bangs erupted all around the room, causing the papers of the forgotten exams to fly amongst the chaos. Sage leaped up from her seat and moved towards Hermione and Harry who were laughing gleefully while watching the bright explosions of color. They watched as Draco was chased by a flying spark, causing Sage to laugh softly. The Weasley twins let a dragon made out of fiery sparks and bright colors that followed  Umbridge to the front of the Great Hall. It disappeared as it hit Umbridge, leaving a cloud of smoke behind. The crowd followed the Weasley twins as they flew out of the great hall and into the courtyard. They cheered and cheered for the two twins who flew throughout the sky far from Hogwarts, leaving behind a firecracker that revealed two w's. Sage and Hermione laughed and clapped alongside the crowd, sharing happy glances. But, when Hermione turned around to find Harry, Sage could see the happiness leave her eyes. Worry washed over her being and Sage turned to look Harry also. He fell to the floor clutching his scar in pain. Sage furrowed her brows, watching Hermione rush to his aid. She soon followed behind, crouching down to hear Harry.

    "He has Sirius." Harry muttered, groaning in pain. Hermione gasped and helped him to his feet. Sage followed Harry and Hermione swiftly.

    As they walked, Harry explained that Umbridge's fireplace is the only one not being watched by the ministry. Some other members of the D.A. soon joined them and they devised a plan to break into Umbridge's office. With determination in her veins, she went with Ginny, Luna, and Neville to distract Umbridge and allow the others to gain access to her office. She stood watch, her head peeking behind a wall. Sage heard faint struggling and she turned around to face Ginny, but was met with the disappointed eyes of Draco.

    "Draco, pleas-" She was cut off by his sharp tone and his iron grip on her upper arm. "Let's go, Professor Umbridge is waiting for us."

    Sage struggled against Draco, trying to loosen his grip. But, she was shoved into the very pink office along with the others.

    "I found this one trying to help the Weasley girl." Draco had spoken with smugness laced into his words. Sage winced in pain at Draco's grip. He noticed the look of pain, but ignored it, keeping his eyes trained on Umbridge. Sage watched as Umbridge forced Harry to be seated, her eyes full of fury. Her eyes flickered at Hermione who was wincing at Umbridge tried to interrogate Harry, asking about who he was trying to contact. Harry refused to answer, slightly intimidated by the crazed look in Umbridge's eyes. The sound of Umbridge's hand hitting Harry's cheek made everyone in the room gasp in shock. Umbridge looked up at the door that had opened and smiled a sickly sweet smile at Professor Snape.

    "You summoned for me, Headmistress?" Snape said in a monotone.

    "Yes, Snape. The time has come for answers whether he wants to give them to me or not. I assume you brought the Veritaserum i asked for?"

    Snape raised a brow. "I'm afraid you used up all my storage when interrogating the students and the last of it on Miss Chang. Unless you wish to poison him, and i assure you i would have the greatest sympathy if you did, I can not help you." Sage sighed in relief, her heart beating faster. Harry spoke out desperately.

    "He's got Padfoot. He's got Padfoot in the place where it's hidden." Snape paused in the doorway, looking over his shoulder at Harry.

    "Padfoot? What is Padfoot? Where what is hidden? What is he talking about, Snape?" Umbridge spoke glancing between Harry and Professor Snape. Snape stood silently, his eyes cold.

    "No idea."

    Umbridge sighed. "Very well." She walked to her desk slowly. "You give me no choice, Potter. As this is an issue of the Ministry Security, you leave me with no alternative. The Cruciatus curse ought to loosen your tongue."

    Hermione struggled against Goyle who was holding her arms tightly. "You can't, that's illegal." She protested. Umbridge looked over at Hermione and said, "What Cornelius doesn't know, won't hurt him.". After placing her picture of the minister face down, Umbridge turned to Harry. Her wand at the ready, she prepared to utter the incantation of one of the Unforgivable Curses. Before Umbridge could start the sentence, Hermione cried out stop.

    "Tell her, Harry. Tell her or i will!" She said with faux sadness. Sage furrowed her brow in confusion and looked at Hermione questioningly. Umbridge grew excited, the crazed look back.

    "Tell me what?!" She exclaimed while glancing between Harry and Hermione. Everyone in the room wore a look of confusion.

    "Where Dumbledore's secret weapon is hidden." Hermione said, hanging her head in shame. Sage looked to Harry for answers, but the look he wore told her he didn't know a damn thing. Sage bit back a smile at Hermione's cleverness.

    "Well, out with it, where is it?"

    "We can take you there." Harry said, pulling Umbridge's attention to him.

    The three of them left the room, shutting the door behind them. Sage ripped her arm from Draco's grip, rubbing the now red spot on her arm. She refused to look at him, fearing the disappointment he had in his eyes. She lifted her eyes to meet the eyes of Ginny who nodded subtly at her. She sighed softly and slowly reached for her wand.

    "NOW!" Ginny had shouted, cueing the five students to start sending a combination of charms and spells to the inquisitorial squad. After they fell to the ground unconscious, the five students fled the room. The others had rushed out of the office, but Sage paused. She looked back to Draco.

    "I hope you can forgive me." She had whispered lightly. With one final look, she rushed out of the room to catch up with the others. A feeling of impending doom weighed her down, but she pushed the feeling away and replaced it with determination. Sage was going to prove Draco wrong. She was going to do what was right, because Sage was the only one who control her future.

A/N:

two more chapters left of part one lmAOOOOO

next chapter is about to break yalls fucking heart

until next time

-outlaws