twenty eight

Sage pushed her hair over her shoulder and away from her face. She sat in a secluded corner of her common room, the warm glow of candles scattered around the room being the only light that shone. A battered and well-loved book laid wide open on the table in front of her. It had been a gift from Hermione many months before everything had gone to shit. It was a story of two teens whose love was forbidden. Their families were enemies, but that didn't matter to the star-crossed lovers. All that mattered to them was the love that kept them warm at night. But, fate had other plans. Love may have been the key to their happiness, but the feud between their families was much more stronger. The story was a tragedy, much like the one of Sage and Hermione. Sage sighed heavily and shut the book. Tears welled up in her eyes as she got lost in her thoughts.

"Sage?" A tired voice called out from the staircase leading into the boys dormitory. Sage didn't look up, her eyes trained on the battered copy of the play in front of her. Draco walked closer to the girl, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Sage, what are you doing down here?" He had asked, pulling out the empty chair in front of his friend. Sage grabbed the book and held it up for Draco to see.

"Reading."

"This late?" Draco said softly, studying the melancholy that was etched into Sage's facial expression.

"Couldn't sleep."

"Well, what is it you're reading?" Draco inquired.

Sage laughed bitterly, her eyes glossy. "A muggle play; Romeo and Juliet, i believe." Draco furrowed his brow at her spiteful tone. "She gave me this. Told me that I would love it. Want to know what it's about?" Sage asked rhetorically, not waiting for an answer. "It's about a beautiful love that ends in a goddamn tragedy. Two teens were madly in love, but torn apart by the feud between their families. They tried to keep the love alive, but-" Sage paused, wiping away the tear that fell from her eye. "-but they didn't stand a chance. They were doomed from the beginning."

Draco studied Sage, sensing her rant had a different meaning. Sage groaned softly, getting up from her seat and walking to the fireplace. She wrapped her arms around herself as if to protect herself.

Her saddened features became more prominent with the glow of the flame. Draco could no longer see the once intense gleam the shone in her eyes. She had lost all hope of a better future. Sage had once clung to the hope of renewing her relationship with Hermione, but she now she knew better. There was no hope. Their once fierce love had perished along with any respect Hermione held for Sage. The fire that had run through their veins turned to ice, resentment and distrust replaced the hope and happiness they had felt. There was nothing left for them.

"I hate feeling so fucking helpless. I can feel her slipping through my fingers and i can't do a thing about it." Sage spat, roughly running a hand through her hair. "I'm losing the love of my life, Draco. I'm losing her and it's all my fucking fault." Sage didn't bother to wipe the tears that fell down her freckled cheeks. Draco frowned and walked towards Sage. He placed his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to look at him.

"Don't you dare say that. This- none of this- is your fault, Sage. We have no choice, you know that. If Hermione is half as smart as you think she is, she will understand that." Draco told her sternly. "You can't go on like this. You can't lose hope. You need to hold on to it as hard as you possibly can, because this is how you are going to get through this; how we are going to get through this."

Sage held his stern stare and sighed in defeat.

"I-I won't." She mumbled, stepping closer to Draco. She wrapped her arms around his torso and laid her head on his chest. Draco immediately responded by tightly wrapping his arms around her shoulders and placing his chin on the top of her head. They stood their for a moment in pure silence, the only sound Sage could hear was the gentle beating of Draco's heart.

"I love you, Sage. I promise you that you will be okay."

"I love you too, Draco." Sage mumbled, her words muffled by his shirt. She knew that Draco had no way to uphold that promise, but she bit back the rancorous words that threatened to slip from her mouth.

A/N:

short filler chapter bc fuck it

leave me some comments, tell me what you think about this chapter!

Vote, Follow, and Comment

until next time

-outlaws